MEET GABRIEL! An alumnus from our BBA program in Organizational Behavior and Human Resource Management at UNT who is just received the HR Student Leader of the Year Award from DallasHR.
- What reward did you receive? The award I received was via DallasHR which is a city-wide organization for HR professionals. The ceremony was the DallasHR Stars Gala which is to recognize HR professionals for their outstanding work in many different categories. The category I was nominated for was for Student Leader of the Year of 2019. I was nominated which then meant I had to go through an application process which consisted of explaining your work history, the work I did as a student, writing an essay of my passion for HR and what I did to move the profession forward as a student and as president for UNT SHRM. Parameters for being selected were simply to be a student pursuing a career in the HR profession during the award year which was 2019.
- When you started at UNT, what were your plans after graduation? How have these plans changed (if at all)? When I started at UNT I simply wanted to get a degree in business and eventually enter the business world, wasn’t sure where or what I would be doing. My plans changed when I learned about the HR profession through UNT SHRM. It was then when my goal was to go work for one of the more prestigious companies with one of the best HR Departments. Although I started my career at Essilor, I finally achieved my goal and am now working for Ryan LLC, who for the 3rd year in a row, was named in Fortune’s 100 Best Companies to Work For.
- How did your program at UNT help you to become a leader? One of the things that I feel helped me in becoming a leader was how the program from the actual coursework to what professors expect from their students, almost pushes you to become not only a business professional but a leader as well. You’re encouraged to be more than a student who simply goes to class, you are encouraged to make a difference in everything you do. I also cannot speak enough to how the openness of the professors to do more than just teach. They mentor, and I can’t say enough as to how much that has helped me.
- What advice do you have for prospective or current students about how to achieve their goals? Do more than just learn. Act on the things that you learn in the classroom while you are still at UNT. The university and the college of business have an abundance of resources available to you so that you can succeed. From the career center, student organizations, and most importantly, the professors.
- What advice do you have for prospective or current students as they decide what they want their next steps to be (internships/careers/etc.)? Put yourself out there. Don’t be afraid to join student organizations and take leadership positions in them. As for internships, start early, the more you can get throughout your college career, it will only help advance your career. Always have the mindset of learning as much as you can, be a sponge, take it all in.
- How did the Career Center help you? The workshops. From networking workshops to resume building, all of this is free and can set you apart from the rest of the pack.
Want to hear more of Gabriel’s story? Check out his testimonial video!
You can see more testimonials like Gabriel’s here.
Would you like to be featured in our Soaring Beyond Success Series? Email Jeanette Hickl. We’d love to share your story!