MEET CHELSEE! A Master’s student in Higher Education at UNT who is scheduled to graduate this May, but landed a full-time opportunity at the University of Texas at Arlington as their Job Location and Development Coordinator.
We asked Chelsee some questions about her plans for graduation, advice for current students, and how UNT helped her to succeed and SOAR BEYOND!
- When you started at UNT, what were your plans after graduation? How have these plans changed (if at all)? My plan was to go into Student Affairs, I just wasn’t sure where until I was a GA in the Career Center!
- What advice do you have for prospective or current students as they decide what they want their next steps to be (internships/careers/etc.)? Have different experiences! I’ve gone from programming events, training and development, to now policies and procedures! It’s important to find what you like, and if you aren’t sure try it out!
- How did your program at UNT help you to feel prepared for this role? My program allowed us to change GA positions, which forces the students in the program to try something different. As well, we are required to complete 2 internships.
- How did you find your current role (website, email, word of mouth, etc)? I found both my internships by reaching out to departments I was interested in learning from!
- What was the toughest interview question they asked you? I really can’t remember a lot of the questions they asked me… lol
- How, if at all, did the Career Center help you? Working in the Career Center helped me create relationships with a lot of the staff and it showed me how important the work they do is. While in undergrad I didn’t take advantage of the Career Center, I see now how VITAL it is to helping students succeed.
Would you like to be featured in our Soaring Beyond Success Series? Email Jeanette Hickl. We’d love to share your story!