Welcome to the LGBTQ+ Community!
As a LGBTQ+ student preparing for a job or internship search, you will want to think through these additional career planning challenges related to your identity. For the most part, college life has been a supportive environment, with the UNT Pride Alliance, welcoming staff across campus, active student groups, and university-backed non-discrimination and benefits policies. The workplace can be quite different, in terms of the openness of and support for LGBTQ+ employees. Industries and geographic regions may vary widely in their policies and support, and you will want to research your options carefully to meet your individual needs and goals. The following collection of resources is designed to offer a starting point in considering issues faced by LGBTQ+ people in the job or internship search and the culture of the workplace. There are no right or wrong answers or rules, only what is right for you. Be sure to schedule an appointment with your Career Coach. Career path exploration, resume reviews, transferable skills identification, LinkedIn profiles, cover letters, networking, and practice interviews are just a few of the resources offered to you free of charge as a UNT student or alumni! Feel free to address questions on coming out at work and during the job search with your career coach.
Know Your Rights
Own Your Space
- Build your social media and personal brand to own the public perception of your identity and self.
Set Yourself Up for Success
- Dress for Success, a gender neutral professional dress guide
- The UNT Suit Up Closet, sponsored by the Career Center, makes professional suits and business attire available for current students to rent for up to one week at no cost to the student for job interviews and other professional events.
Should I Come Out at Work?
Conferences and Networking Organizations
- Out Professionals – Leading gay and lesbian professional networking site.
- Federal Globe – LGBT organization that represents the interests of federal employees; this site provides legislative resources, press releases and fact sheets.
- Out and Equal – Non-profit organization that discusses LGBT workplace issues.
- Pride at Work – Non-profit organization that represents LGBTQ union members and their allies.
- Ford GLOBE – Ford Motor Company’s LGBT employee group’s resource page.
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals (NOGLSTP) – Advocates equal employment opportunity, professional networking, role modeling, science education, and scientific freedom/responsibility.
Other Resources for LGBTQ+ Students
- Human Rights Campaign LGBTQ Scholarship Database
- College Scholarships For LGBTQ+ Students
- Other Scholarship Opportunities
- UNT Division of Student Affairs LGBTQ+ Resources
- Queer and Trans Student Organizations at UNT
- UNT Pride Alliance
- Pink Jobs LGBT Pink Jobs – LGBT, Gay Friendly Jobs and Candidates
- Onlinetherapy.com Online therapy resource with dedicated information for the LGBTQ+ community