Welcome to the Online Student Community!
All UNT students and alumni have access to virtual services and opportunities through the Career Center to assist in achieving their career goals. These services are highlighted below. The Career Center is continuing to expand the virtual programs and offerings so you should check back frequently.
Career Coaching and Internship Advising Meetings
UNT Career Coaches and Internship Coordinators are available for one-on-one coaching/advising sessions with students and alumni. Staff are available by phone, videoconference using Zoom, and email. When scheduling an appointment online, please indicate if you would like a phone, email, or videoconference meeting.
To find your Career Coach or Internship Coordinator, select the Career Community for the College or School associated with your major. (If you don’t know which College or School to select, you can find it in the UNT Degree Programs list.) Once you access your Career Community, scroll down and your Career Coach and Internship Coordinator will be listed in the right-hand column. Click the green button to access their contact information.
In addition, given the recent changes career counselors at universities throughout the country will be available each weekday April 1-17 for virtual career advising sessions titled Ask Me Anything. During each hour-long session, students can ask questions related to their job or internship search and also benefit by listening to the questions asked by others.
Career advice is available each day without an appointment during Daily Drop-Ins. Please call our office during these times at 940-565-2105 to be assigned to a Career Ambassador who will assist you. Hours are: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 10:00AM to Noon; Tuesday and Thursday, 1:00 to 3:00PM. If you’d like to meet with an ambassador virtually during drop-in times, watch How to Schedule a Virtual Drop-In Appointment to learn more.
For UNT at Frisco students, Drop-In Hours are available via Zoom during these times: Mondays, April 13 – 27, 11:00AM to 1:00PM; Thursdays, April 2 – 30, 2:00 to 4:00PM. Zoom link – https://unt.zoom.us/j/891569554
Career Center Website
Within each College Career Community, you will find information to help you Discover Your Path, Explore Majors and Careers, Gain Experience, and Achieve Your Goals. In addition, the resources and tools below are available on-demand to assist you with your career journey.
- Resources – An extensive library of resources is available that can be filtered by topic. Some of the more popular topics include tips on resume writing and cover letters plus the best action verbs to use to describe your accomplishments.
- Blogs – The Blogs include information and advice on popular career topics from students, employers and other sources.
- Jobs and Internships – Employment opportunities for UNT students and alumni that can be filtered by college and by job type are available as Featured Jobs and Internships.
- Handshake – Thousands of jobs and internships posted by employers and open to all UNT students and alumni are available on Handshake.
- Big Interview – Big Interview can help you with resume writing, developing and practicing your interview skills, how to negotiate, and how to navigate the first 90 days. Simply enter your first and last name, your UNT email, and your password. Watch this video to learn more about Getting Started with Big Interview. Looking for more information? Check the Big Interview Student Guide.
- MyPlan – Whether you’re choosing a major, planning ahead for your first career, or thinking about making a career change, MyPlan can help you explore options and bring clarity and insight into figuring out what’s right for you. Use these Instructions and the License Code below to get started.
- What can I do with this major? – Are you wondering What can I do with this major? This website provides information about careers that are commonly pursued by students in your major or field of study.
Virtual Events and Video Resources
The Virtual Events, Videos and Resources page provides information and advice on a wide range of career-related topics. Many live, virtual events are recorded and made available here so students can access them at their convenience. There are also video resources on the career topics students ask about most frequently.
Virtual career fairs are a great way for students and alumni to connect with employers who are hiring for internships and post-graduation positions. The fairs are hosted on a virtual recruiting platform and no special equipment is required. All you need is an internet connection. Currently, there are several virtual career fairs scheduled, and additional online career fairs are being added. Tips on how to prepare for a virtual career fair are available on the Virtual Events, Videos and Resources page.
Employer Information Sessions
Some companies host virtual information sessions. This is a great opportunity for students to connect with company representatives, learn more about the employer and available job opportunities, and even ask questions.
Handshake has assembled A List of Free Services and Resources to Help You Right Now.