Welcome to the Parents & Families Community!
The Career Center provides many opportunities for your student throughout their time at UNT and beyond. Our team is dedicated to empowering students and alumni to identify and achieve individual goals for career success. We achieve this by designing and delivering high quality career services to UNT students and alumni through collaboration with campus, local and global partnerships. Our services are free for both current students and alumni. Encourage your student to connect with the Career Center today.
How Can You Help Your Student?
As a family member, we know that you are invested in your student’s success at the University of North Texas. There are many ways that you can help your student get connected to the Career Center including those listed below.
1) Career Coaches: Encourage your student to make an appointment with their Career Coach. Each Career Coach is assigned to work with students in a specific academic college allowing familiarity with the changes in your student’s field of interest. They can assist students with major and career exploration, building their resume, networking, preparing for interviews, internships, and much more.
2) Handshake: Handshake, UNT’s online job posting system, provides access to part-time and full-time employment opportunities for students and alumni both on- and off-campus. The Handshake Guide for Students provides tips and hints for getting started with Handshake.
3) Student Employment: On-Campus Student Employment is available for all students; students who qualify for work study and those who do not. A host of workshops such as customer service training (CASA) and the Eagle Edge program are available to help students successfully navigate their employment experience. All available on-campus student positions can be found through Handshake. In addition, at the beginning of each semester, the Career Center hosts a part-time job fair featuring on- and off-campus job opportunities.
4) Career Fairs & Expos: The Career Center offers a wide variety of networking and recruiting events for students of all majors and programs of study. See our upcoming Events for more information.
5) Take Flight – Job Shadowing Program: Take Flight is an experiential “job shadowing” program that lasts from one to a few days. Students have the opportunity to visit organizations throughout the DFW area and learn more about specific industries, organizations and career opportunities. To learn more about this program, students can schedule an appointment with their Career Coach and check out the opportunities in Handshake under Events or on the website under Events-Job Shadowing.
6) Career Education Workshops: Workshops are held throughout the year covering topics such as Choosing a Major, Resume Preparation, Interview Techniques, Career Planning, Job Search Strategies, and many other professional development topics. Encourage your student to view upcoming Events and register for workshops in Handshake.
7) On-Campus Interviews: The Career Center has a dedicated interview suite consisting of multiple offices that employers utilize to host interviews for internships and full-time positions. Students can browse upcoming interview dates and apply for an interview in Handshake.
How Your Student Can Meet with Us/Schedule an Appointment
The Career Coaches and Internship Specialists are available to meet with all students and alumni. Appointments are available in-person, virtually, and by email and phone. For information about scheduling an appointment, locations, hours of operation and more, see Connect with the Career Center.
UNT Career Center Annual Report
The UNT Career Center Annual Report 2019-2020 includes the highlights and accomplishments for the last year. Check it out to learn more about the Career Center. As an addendum to the Annual Report, you can also learn about the UNT Career Center COVID-19 Response.
Career Center Vision and Mission
The vision and mission statements serve to guide the direction and overall work of the Career Center.
- Career Center Vision Statement: Empowering students and alumni to identify and achieve individual goals for career success.
- Career Center Mission Statement: Design and deliver high-quality career services to UNT students and alumni through collaboration with campus, local and global partnerships.
The UNT Career Center encourages persons with disabilities to participate in our events and meet with our staff. If you anticipate needing an accommodation or have questions about accessibility, please call 940-565-2105 in advance of the event or your visit.