Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
WORKING AT ABBOTT
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of.
Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit – an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our IRVING, TX location in the Core Diagnostics Division. Our diagnostic solutions are used in hospitals, laboratories, and clinics around the globe. The crucial information derived from our tests, instruments and informatics systems are often the first step in patient care decision making for hundreds of health conditions from heart attacks to blood disorders to infectious diseases and cancers. The Associate Engineer Manufacturing position is within the Engineering team. The successful candidate will be an engineering professional who applies scientific knowledge, engineering knowledge, mathematics, and ingenuity to complete basic engineering assignments related to a specific technical field or discipline. Must demonstrate skill in project management, technical/design, problem solving and innovation. Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures. This person must engage with operations to help drive the success of the department. This person must also have a customer service mentality and exceptional communication skills (written and verbal). Works under supervision of more experienced engineers who review results for overall accuracy, completeness, and soundness of technical judgment. Recognizes risks v. relative gains associated with actions; understands projects critical success factors in own sphere, e.g., makes decisions regarding purchases, evaluating budget concerns against schedule; matches design specifics with respect to system performance. Responsible to meet established objectives and goals. Drives functional performance that ensures the highest standard in quality, customer service, and regulatory compliance are met.
WHAT YOU’LL WORK ON
- Plans and conducts small-sized assigned projects within engineering specialty requiring conventional types of plans, investigations, and/or equipment.
- Implements plans; initiates execution of own work plan; monitors executions for adherence to plan, e.g., documents work status and reports to management with appropriate frequency.
- Facilitates the definition of a project scope with clients.
- Converts goals to tasks and steps. Within structure, plans own work, manages several, often concurrent, tasks to accomplish assigned tasks to meet or exceed expectations (cost, quality, time).
- Participates in basic economic analysis and feasibility studies related to project alternatives under guidance. Jointly responsible for achieving the project’s financial targets in support of business objectives.
- Stays current. Keeps aware of the changing technical and competitive environment as it relates to the business; establishes a means of keeping abreast with technology on own engineering area and sharing with co-workers, e.g., stays current in product/process innovations in areas of expertise.
- Participates and/or assists other engineers in the design of products/processes/equipment/systems/facilities by applying standard engineering theories, concepts, and techniques within the discipline.
- Investigates, conducts test or experiments, gathers data, performs preliminary analysis, and reports findings. Prepares and communicates recommendations and respective action plans.
- Creates/modifies designs for basic problems. Reviews existing layouts and standards and creates a proposed design, e.g., uses appropriate tools to complete design drawing/layout; designs a simple piece of equipment or system; modifies an existing design to meet a new need.
- Interprets problems/recommends solutions. Applies standard engineering principles and methodologies to interpret, draw conclusions, and recommend options for defined problems; considers a broad range of factors, e.g., qualifies costs and benefits in assigned projects; assures conformance to regulatory.
- Improves methods/designs/processes. Recognizes and implements good ideas/innovations/costs reductions; consistently generates/adopts original solutions to problems and reduces them to practices, e.g., implements better methods to reduce component costs; creatively applies others’ design ideas.
- Assists in the training of personnel required for the operation of facilities/equipment. Establishes contacts with immediate supervisor, project leaders, and other professionals in the section or group.
- Prepares written communication. Conveys information effectively through formal and informal documents with team members, designers, technicians, and other technical personnel, both internal and external to Abbott, using appropriate communication protocols, e.g., develops proposals; conducts reviews; provides audience targeted content; prepares project summaries and design documentation. Obtains approval to proceed with proposed action plans.
- Establishes networks. Follows through on project goals; contributes willingly and incorporates the ideas of others; shares resources, knowledge, and accountability to benefit the objectives of the business, e.g., participates in team meetings; understands own limitations.
- Builds relationships, initiates and cultivates open, honest relationships with colleagues, customers, contractors, and vendors by establishing rapport, developing an understanding of others’ needs, promoting common goals, and following through on commitments, e.g., offers assistance; interacts effectively with stakeholders at appropriate levels of the organization.
- Identifies ways to increase customer satisfaction. Establishes relationships and good communication channels with customers; searches for ways to increase customer satisfaction; documents, agreements and commitments, e.g., establishes clear expectations at the start of a project regarding costs, quality, and timelines; acts proactively to correct situations; keeps direct customers informed throughout the project.
- Complies with all regulations and standards for Quality, Environment, Health, Safety and Energy (EHS&E) Global Policies, Abbott Engineering Standards, and other governance areas as applicable.
- Ensures quality and effectiveness of assigned tasks. Has awareness of the potential consequences (defects and failure modes) of design changes to established processes.
- Identifies areas of risk with respect to compliance. Assists in development of procedures and standards. Coordinates with technical support personnel to conduct prototype or experimental runs of products or processes.
- Directs the efforts of others such as technicians and outside resources. Performs tasks such as writing Requests for Capital Expenditures (RCEs), safety/quality checklists, scope documents, etc. Assists in the development and execution of validation protocols.
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering, Science, or closely related discipline OR an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 0-3 years relevant engineering experience.
- Demonstrated experience with CAD systems. Basic understanding of mechanical reasoning, physics, electronics, metal working and plastics.
- Experience working in a broader enterprise/cross-division business unit model preferred. Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment. Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment. Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects.
- Strong verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization. Multitasks, prioritizes and meets deadlines in timely manner. Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to travel approximately 5%, including internationally.
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR HEALTH AND WELLNESS BENEFITS, WHICH PROVIDE THE SECURITY TO HELP YOU AND YOUR FAMILY LIVE FULL LIVES: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.