Who we are:
Argo AI is in the business of building self-driving technology you can trust. With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s largest automakers, we’re building self-driving technology that is engineered to scale globally and transform mobility for millions.
Talented individuals join our team because they share our purpose to make it safe, easy, and enjoyable for everyone to get around cities. We aspire to impact key industries that move people and goods, from ride hailing to deliveries.
At Argo AI, we view internships as an incredibly valuable part of our culture and of our recruiting pipeline. It’s our opportunity to see you in action in a way that is far more informative than an interview. For you, it is an opportunity to demonstrate your skills and character in a real world setting. Moreover, it is an opportunity for personal and professional development while learning something new and contributing to Argo AI’s effort to change the world.
Every intern will be paired with a senior member of our staff who will provide guidance and mentorship for the duration of the internship. Interns are considered contributing members of our project teams and participate in project meetings. So join us* for a unique 12-14 week paid internship that offers personal and professional development, a fun work environment, and community-building!
Meet the team:
The Lidar Detector team at Argo is responsible for the design, manufacture, integration, and testing of focal plane arrays (FPAs) that function as the sensor engines of Argo’s automotive lidars. Our multidisciplinary team includes engineers who work on optoelectronic semiconductor device design, micro-optics device design, wafer processing engineering, optoelectronic device packaging, parametric device characterization, and comprehensive data analysis. Our team interacts with other Argo Lidar teams to achieve the necessary functionality and performance of our FPAs to enable the generation of high density three-dimensional point clouds by our integrated lidar systems.
What you’ll do:
- Carry out experiments to collect performance data on single-photon avalanche photodiode focal plane arrays
- Write software tools to analyze focal plane array data
- Extract intrinsic device performance and array-level interaction effects through data analysis
- Collaborate with the lidar system team to correlate focal plane array-level data with integrated lidar system performance data
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Pursuing a degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics or a related field. Must be enrolled in a full time degree program at the time of the internship and for the semester following the internship (Fall 2021).
- Note: At this time, Argo AI is only able to support remote internships in the following states: CA, CT, DC, FL, GA, MA, MD, MI, NC, NJ, NY, PA, TX, VA, WA.
- Background in semiconductor device fundamentals
- Experience with optoelectronic device characterization
- Basic software development skills in Python or similar languages
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Passion for solving challenging problems
Nice to haves:
- Experience with optical detector and imaging technologies
- Familiarity with lidar physics
Argo AI was founded in late 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,000-person strong company with strategic partnerships with two of the world’s leading automakers: Ford and Volkswagen. Our self-driving system is the first with commercial deployment plans for Europe and the U.S., and thanks to an ability to tap into both automakers’ global reach, our technology platform has the largest geographic deployment potential of any self-driving technology to date.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.