Austin Industries is one of the nation’s largest, most diversified U.S.-based construction companies. With more than 5,700 employee-owners, Austin Industries provides nearly every type of civil, commercial and industrial construction services through the expertise of our operating companies: Austin Bridge & Road, Austin Commercial and Austin Industrial.
Austin Industries is looking for a talented communication intern to assist in driving and delivering on Austin’s communication strategy, providing support to Austin Industries and its operating companies. If you enjoy writing, crafting social media, conducting interviews, and want to get some great experience on a forward-thinking, strategy-minded communication team, we’re looking for you! This position will report to the corporate office located in Dallas, TX and is a paid part-time internship.
We’ll ask you to:
- Assist the Austin Communications department with all internal communications efforts, including writing of emails, updating the company’s intranet (AustinNet), contributing to the employee-owner newsletter The Span, and contributing wherever you are needed most.
- Use your strong writing and editing skills to assist with employee-owner messaging
- Assist in developing social media posts for Austin Industries and Austin Bridge & Road
- Handle multiple aspects of a given communication beyond writing – we have some photography and design support, but you must be nimble to meet deadlines
- Help to ensure communication for Austin is good – and always getting better – including:
- Write, edit, publish internal communications with subject-matter experts and internal champions for the company newsletter, intranet, and email communications
- Develop articles to promote Austin initiatives and successes to employee-owners
- Assist with employee-owner and senior leadership meetings
- Post information on Austin’s SharePoint intranet (AustinNet) and keep it up-to-date
- Develop a social media calendar and content to engage external stakeholders
- Have a can-do attitude!
- Be a senior working on your bachelor’s degree that makes sense for the job, preferably in journalism, communication, or related field
- Commit to a set number of part-time working hours
- A mindset that is all about learning, improving and adapting on the fly
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office; experience in Microsoft SharePoint a plus
- Comfort using Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Familiarity with email marketing tools such as Constant Contact, Mailchimp, or similar
- Demonstrated social media experience
- The ability to capably manage multiple projects at once
- A learner’s mindset: attention to detail, great listening skills, and an attitude of service
Level up with these bonus skills:
- Strong in desktop publishing and proficiency in Adobe InDesign
- Microsoft SharePoint experience, particularly with modern news sites