Corporate Communications Summer Intern 2022 (Paid)
Date: Sep 2, 2021
Location: Fort Worth, TX, US, 76131
APPLY EARLY AS THIS JOB MAY BE FILLED AT ANY TIME
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
Do you want to be a part of something that really matters? Team BNSF includes professionals focused on safety and service that play a vital role in delivering the nation’s freight. Together, we help move goods and materials that sustain life and support local, national and global economies. The BNSF rail network is one of the largest freight railroads, spanning 28 western states and serving three Canadian provinces.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
At BNSF, our Vision and Values drive who we are, not only in our words, but also our actions. BNSF is committed to our foundational values of equality and inclusion. As members of the BNSF community, our employees are entitled to:
- be treated with dignity and respect.
- have equal access to tools, resources, training and development opportunities.
- have equal opportunity to achieve their full potential.
We model the way through our leadership, our BNSF Diversity Councils, our diverse Business Resource Groups, our deep involvement and investment in the communities we serve, and through diversity and inclusion training programs. It’s through our actions that we create an inclusive, open and collaborative workplace that truly encourages diverse perspectives in all interactions.
The Summer Internship Program provides interns an opportunity to learn more about how our efficient, safe and sustainable rail network supports the global supply chain. Interns participate in group events and projects, experiencing first-hand what it is like to be a full-time BNSF employee. Operating one of the largest railroads in North America, we have countless opportunities for interns to develop their skills, create new ideas and even travel!
The program begins with a two-day corporate orientation in Fort Worth, Texas. During the training period, interns receive a company overview and interact with company leaders. Following orientation, interns receive on-the-job training according to their assigned group. The summer will be spent in Fort Worth or in a field location that can be anywhere on BNSF’s system. The objective of our Summer Internship Program is to find students that will join us after graduation as part of our Management Trainee Program.
Relocation assistance may be provided to interns who are moving more than 50 driving miles from their permanent residence.
WORK LOCATION: Fort Worth, TX
ANTICIPATED START DATE: 06/01/2022
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
SALARY RANGE: $3,750 per month
BNSF offers competitive benefit programs and services including, but not limited to:
- Relocation Stipend
- Summer Lodging Stipend
- Potential for offer of full time position
- Paid Internship
Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding potential interviews, testing, and hiring events for this position. Please check your e-mail on a daily basis.
- Write company news and feature articles for posting on internal website and other communication channels, as assigned.
- Assist with special events, recognition programs, and other functions.
- Support content development for company-wide employee mobile app and for various social media outlets.
- Help monitor website statistics and social media usage, using various analytical and measurement tools.
- Assist in graphic design for a variety of digital and print publications.
- Assist with research and fact checking for company communications.
- Perform various administrative functions, including updating databases and mailing lists and other duties as assigned.
Additionally qualified candidates must be able to:
- Demonstrate leadership skills
- Work effectively in a team environment
- Express ideas and information in a clear and concise manner
- Recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations
- Demonstrate ability to complete tasks regardless of obstacles
- Primarily an office environment.
- Normal office hours, five days per week with weekend or evening work as required.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- If you are invited to interview in person, please bring your portfolio with you for the interview.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 for engineering majors OR cumulative GPA of 3.0 for non-engineering majors.
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s or graduate degree program at an accredited university at the time of application and throughout the duration of the internship.
- Less than three years of work experience in a professional work environment. When calculating work experience, EXCLUDE internships or positions held while in high school or college.
- Authorization to work in the US without Company sponsorship now AND in the future.
- Relocation to Fort Worth, Texas for the summer.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Graduation date prior to September 1, 2023.
- Pursuit of a degree in Communication, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism OR a similar program
- Proven leadership experience and excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with Word, Adobe Acrobat, PhotoShop, Excel and Publisher
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS:
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS:
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status.
DRUG TEST ELEMENTS:
BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free work place and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free.