Cirrus Aircraft’s Mission is to deliver an aviation experience that is the pinnacle of innovation, quality, and safety to our customers. Cirrus Aircraft is the recognized global leader in personal aviation and the maker of the best-selling SR Series piston aircraft and the Vision Jet™, the world’s first single engine Personal Jet and recipient of the 2017 Robert J. Collier Trophy. Founded in 1984, the company has redefined performance, comfort and safety in aviation with innovations like the Cirrus Airframe Parachute System® (CAPS®) – the first FAA-certified whole-airframe parachute safety system included as standard equipment on an aircraft. To date, worldwide flight time on Cirrus aircraft has passed nine million hours and over 170 people have returned home safely to their families as a result of the inclusion of CAPS® as a standard feature on all Cirrus aircraft. Find out more at cirrusaircraft.com.
Cirrus offers a competitive benefits package and is dedicated to the advancement of general aviation. The Cirrus Flying Club offers employees and their family members the unique opportunity to obtain their private pilot’s license in the comfort of a Cirrus or rent a Cirrus for an impromptu adventure at a greatly reduced rate. We are committed to investing in the future of our employees and company by offering professional development and career progression opportunities and we engage employees by offering several employee and family events throughout the year, as well as the opportunity to take part in activity clubs and community events.
Cirrus Aircraft is currently hiring an Aircraft Systems Engineer focused on Powerplant Systems. An engineer in this role is responsible for design, development, integration, and certification with engine and/or propeller manufacturers along with systems such as fire extinguishing, fire detection, engine controls, engine indications, powerplant cooling, fuel systems, induction, and exhaust on both the SR and SF platforms as well as new projects. Candidates will also be responsible for coordinating development and system integration work with subcontractors and external suppliers.
Duties and Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Interface with other aircraft disciplines, including structural and electrical disciplines, across the Cirrus Aircraft platform
- Work with a multi-discipline team on powerplant system design development.
- Identify, select, and coordinate with component and system suppliers
- Active involvement in development and certification of powerplant systems under FAR Part 23, Part 25, or Part 33.
- Research industry guidance documents for best practices, e.g. SAE.
- Create 3D models and drawings of powerplant systems in Creo.
- Author and check documents including test plans and reports, certification reports, and other engineering documents.
- Perform trade studies involving weight, cost, reliability, and manufacturability.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills on technical issues and have a high level of initiative to fill gaps when necessary.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Teams).
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering
- Entry level to 4 years of experience
- Advanced Degrees in Mechanical engineering or Aerospace Engineering
- Powerplant integration and systems detail design and certification.
- FAR Part 23, Part 25, or Part 33 certification of powerplant installations.
- Powerplant testing.
- CAD experience CREO/Pro-Engineer preferred.
This opportunity is located in Duluth MN or North Dallas, TX.
Cirrus gives priority to candidates interested in moving to our Duluth headquarters for innovation and activity center of our manufacturing, engineering, and enterprise operations. We will also consider candidates who are interested in working with us from Dallas, TX .
Dallas Texas is the third most populous city (after Houston and San Antonio) and the metropolis of the sprawling Dallas–Fort Worth urban area, known locally as the Metroplex. Fort Worth lies 30 miles (48 km) west; other major cities in the metropolitan region include Arlington, Carrollton, Denton, Garland, Grand Prairie, Irving, Lewisville, Mesquite, Plano, Richardson, University Park and McKinney (home of the 1st remote Cirrus Aircraft Factory Service Center).
Duluth, Minnesota. As the home to our corporate headquarters, Duluth is a four-season city on the western tip of Lake Superior and was voted “Best Town” by Outside Magazine. The splendor of the largest freshwater lake in the world offers a multitude of outdoor activities for adventure or rejuvenation. The North Shore lifestyle is known its year-round activities, including bicycle and snowmobile trails, kayaking, rock climbing, fishing, hiking, golfing, sailing and skiing. And as a top employer in the area, Cirrus Aircraft was recently named “Best Overall Large Company to Work for in the Northland” and “Best Workplace Culture” by the Duluth News Tribune readers.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Work beyond 40 hours per week may be required.
Cirrus is dedicated to a drug free work environment promoting equal employment opportunity. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, national origin, color, age, disability, religion, pregnancy, veteran status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, receipt of public assistance, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.