The salary listed on this job posting is the entire salary range for the position; amount offered will depend upon qualifications.
The candidate will be responsible for supporting the city on its journey to becoming a data centric organization. Core responsibilities include assessment and creation of data inventories, analyses of various data streams, and utilization of large data sets to determine unique insights to further business needs. The ideal candidate will have deep data knowledge and skills, an eye for human centered design and a desire to tell concise and compelling data stories. By using available data and information, the Data Science Analyst will help the City become smarter, more efficient and effective in delivering services and programs to constituents.
- Develop mechanisms to ingest, analyze, validate, normalize, and clean data.
- Retrieve and combine data from databases, websites, department systems, etc.
- Use unstructured data and data mining techniques to extract valuable information.
- Create data visualizations that clearly communicate trends and are accessible for non-technical audiences.
- Develop tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy.
- Collaborate with partners to produce and communicate insights to various levels of leadership.
- Use data to aid city staff to make informed strategic decisions.
- Contribute to the city’s Data Academy, Data Collaborative, Community of Practice and other citywide data initiatives, as needed.
- Support data analytics trainings, as needed.
- Salary: $50,201.00 – $72,720.00 (Yearly Salary)
Bachelor’s degree in a data science or related field (data science, math, statistics, social science, etc.)
Master’s degree preferred but not required. 2 years of related experience (database management, operations, statistical analysis, etc.) required.
Graduate degree can substitute for one year of experience to satisfy the experience requirement.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required to Perform Work
- Proficiency in R and/or Python required. Competency in both strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with SQL or another querying language.
- Demonstrated experience working with large datasets.
- Experience in the creation of customized models and algorithms.
- Examples of past translation of data into visualizations or report outs required.
- Experience performing data mining and statistical analysis with civic, socioeconomic, and/or demographic data preferred.
- Cross-functional experience in business or social sciences preferred but not required.
- Familiarity with programming, visualization, and statistical tools such as R, JMP, SAS, Tableau, Python, Perl, Java/C++.
- Advanced knowledge in SQL required; knowledge of other querying languages a plus.
- Fluency in R or Python strongly preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with an emphasis on the ability to communicate data and insights to a variety of stakeholders using non-technical language.
- A demonstrable ability to use data science tools to approach a problem and ability to humanize data sets and communicate insights through that lens.
- Willingness to learn new programming and data analysis techniques.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ease in building effective relationships with all levels of city staff and officials, as well as public stakeholders and citizens.
- A personal value of and talent for portraying data in an unbiased and objective manner.
- Commitment to the City’s core values – Empathy, Equity, Ethics, and Excellence
• No felony or class A misdemeanor conviction.
• No class B misdemeanor convictions within the last ten (10) years.
• No family violence convictions.