Responsible for detailed analysis, plans, studies, and other documentation in support of planning and design for expansion, modification, operations and maintenance of the electric system.
- Identify areas of system and business needs, propose practical solution, and assist with implementation of project plans and business decisions.
- Prepare designs for extensions and modifications to the electrical system to include detailed analyses and structural and electrical calculations where appropriate. Design requirements will be in distribution line, system protection and equipment control.
- Complete research for and develop overhead and underground line construction standards and practices including data and calculation on strengths and electrical performance (Power Quality & Reliability – PQ&R). Prepare and maintain documentation for approved construction, electric service, and PQ&R standards.
- Prepare detailed analysis, plans, studies, and other documentation in support of planning and design for expansion, modification and maintenance of the electrical system.
- Prepare and maintain databases for transmission and distribution analytical software. Use the software for analyses to evaluate the performance of system components, to identify and validate projects for resolution of deficiencies, and to plan for future needs.
- Identify and provide justifications for projects for inclusion in the capital improvement plan. Participate in the preparation and administration of the department’s budget and implementation of the work plan.
- Develop written documentation and reports for such items as design; specifications, customer plan review, electrical reviews for Development Review Committee items equipment selections; standards and procedures, agenda items for the Public Utilities Board, Planning & Zoning Commission, and City Council; planning studies; special reports; project proposals; or any other area of department responsibility.
- Perform project management for capital improvement projects.
- Research technical advancements and disseminate information as appropriate.
- Insure compliance with federal, state, and local electrical, safety, and regulatory codes.
- Attend and represent Denton Municipal Electric at customer and contractor meetings.
- Assist as required with surveying and staking activities.
- Prepare documentation, reviews, reconciliation, and any other information to support the accounting processes required of the Electric Engineering Department.
- Maintain effective interdepartmental and interdivisional working relationships.
- Utilize teamwork concepts and maintain a demeanor that promotes positive and effective relationships with customers and co-workers.
- Regular and punctual attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Assist with electric system emergencies. This could require working extended periods, including weekends and holidays.
- Designs, plans, and manages projects that supply service or improvements to customers or the distribution facilities. May use computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform assignments. Applies principles and techniques of engineering to accomplish goals. Requires a BA/BS plus at least 0-2 years directly related experience, or AA/AS plus 0-4 years directly related experience. Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Works under immediate supervision. Primary job functions do not typically require exercising independent judgment. Typically reports to a manager or a supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electric, Mechanical, or Civil Engineering or Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited engineering college. A Master’s Degree in an appropriate field may count for up to two years (2) additional experience.
- Thorough knowledge and experience in design and repair/rehabilitation of electric distribution systems.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Strong electric economic analysis, project management and presentation skills.
- Must be a self-motivated individual who has demonstrated a willingness to excel on behalf of the organization.
- Any combination of related education, experience, certifications and licenses that will result in a candidate successfully performing the essential functions of the job.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to form and maintain effective relationships with coworkers and customers.
- Ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Organizational skills and attention to detail.
Conditions of Employment
- Must have a valid Class “C” driver’s license prior to employment and must obtain a Texas Class “C” driver’s license within 30 days of hire per state law.
- Must pass a drug test, driver’s license check, criminal history background check, and social security number verification check.
- Must be able to work overtime when requested.