Provides technical support services for hardware and software installation, configuration and troubleshooting for information systems. Provide backup support services for systems engineers as needed. Performs general administration and technical duties required to support activities and operations of the Information Technology Services Department. Rotating on-call IT support for essential city functions is required.
- Provides technical support to end users.
- Completes and documents technical work orders.
- Maintains inventory information including moves, vendor maintenance and support, installation documentation and other required information.
- Identifies and logs problems related to specific computer system applications and hardware.
- Installs and maintains technology that support city functions.
- Researches product compatibility, technology development and other technical information.
- Performs desktop operating system and application system software upgrades and installations and firmware updates as directed.
- Troubleshooting various types of technology endpoints including but not limited to cellular, IP, and analog connected devices.
- Maintains updated support files for ITS and City staff including hardware drives, installation files and configurations, troubleshooting data, etc.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned. This also includes special projects that will be assigned from time to time or recurring projects by manager.
Bachelor’s Degree in information technology or computer science with emphasis in management information systems or other degree in related field with similar emphasis.
Every two years of related job experience may substitute for one year of the education required.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
Knowledge of basic network functionality, protocols and IP telephony.
- Knowledge of PC related hardware, software products, and basic troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of current technology and troubleshooting methods.
- Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Ability to follow instructions, safety practices and standard operating procedures in performing assigned tasks.
- Ability to be punctual and attend work regularly
- Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
- Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use and assist users on products such as desktop applications and hardware.
- Ability to attend work regularly and learn new technical skills quickly and efficiently.
- Skill in use of personal computer including productivity products, e-mail and PC connectivity.
- Skill in Microsoft operating systems with work experience in configuring and troubleshooting applications.
- Skill in PC hardware maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Must submit to and pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Must possess a valid State of Texas Drivers License Class “C” and good driving record as defined by City policy.
- Preference will be given for MCP Certification, and A+ certification.
- Must be available to respond to after-hours call-backs to work within 15 minutes.