Are you ready to start a career that’s bigger than you?
Working as a Memphis Police Officer will push you to learn real leadership, take on great responsibility, and reach your full potential all while making a difference in the City of Memphis.
Explore your opportunities to create meaningful change in Memphis by joining the MPD, where you’ll experience:
- Exciting everyday responsibilities & challenges
- Diverse job options and training
- Career advancement & promotion opportunities
- Competitive salary with health & retirement benefits
All candidates MUST meet the following:
- Attain 21 years of age upon completion of the Police Basic Training program (note: there is no maximum age limit).
- An Honorable discharge from military service, if applicable.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license with a good driving record as a condition for continued employment.
- Not have been convicted of, pled guilty to, or entered a plea of Nolo Contendere to any violent misdemeanor or felony charges.
- Not convicted of charges/violations of any federal/state laws relating to force, theft, dishonesty, gambling, alcohol (liquor) or controlled substances.
- A Citizen of the United States OR a permanent legal resident of the United States who is an honorably discharged veteran of the United States Armed Forces (requires such an individual to apply for and obtain citizenship within six years of the employment start date).
- Personal Accountability
- Dignity and Respect
- Stable Employment Record
- Good Driving Record
- No History of Addiction to Drugs and/or Alcohol
- An Associate degree (or a minimum of 54 semester hours with “C” grades or better) earned at a regionally accredited college or university.
- A minimum of an Associate degree in Criminal Justice earned at a nationally accredited college or university, recognized by the U. S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. (e.g. DETC, COE, ACCSC)
- Possess five (5) cumulative years of full-time, verifiable, responsible work experience within the last seven (7) years as of the date of their application and a High School Diploma or education equivalency. (Special Requirement: Applicants who qualify under this stipulation must obtain an Associate degree from a regionally accredited college/university within four (4) years from date of employment.)
- Two (2) years of cumulative active duty military service with a honorable discharge, stipulated on DDform214 (member 4 copy).
- Five (5) years of active reserve military service (any branch including national guard), stipulated on DDform214, DDform256 and/or NGB22.
Basic Recruit applicants must successfully complete and pass the following entry level requirements:
- 1.5 mile run within 16:30 (mins/secs) or less
- Obstacle Course (a foot chase simulation) 160 seconds or less
- One Written Exam >>> Take a Practice Test by clicking Written Exam and entering this code: FEF92CBC6CDF75D2
- Behavioral Interview
- Background Screening
- Psychological Exam
- Clinical Interview
- Medical Assessment
- Finger Print submission
If you meet the minimum requirements and want to serve the Memphis community, then joining the Best in Blue may be the right career choice for you!