Eaton’s Commercial and Residential Distribution Solutions (CRDS) Division is currently seeking a Copper Layout Technician/Drafter to join our team. This position is based at our Grapevine, TX (Dallas) facility. Note this position requires a minimum 2-year commitment to the role to support full project implementation.
In the Copper Layout Technician / Drafter role, you will design bus bar layouts and create 3D CAD models, CAD assembly and detailed drawings that describe switchboard bus bar layouts in conformance with department drafting practices. You will create associated bills of material using current computer software programs. You will maintain and update assembly and detail drawings for existing products to ensure they conform to industry standards.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function you will:
- Design the bus bar layout for non-standard switchboard sections utilizing tools including Autodesk Inventor, Autodesk ACAD, Enovia, MS Excel and MS Outlook.
- Utilize the power flow, product standards, and prior layouts to develop the bus bar layout for sections that do not have standard bus assemblies.
- Utilize knowledge of assembly and component design drawing methods and format component details to complete bus bar layout designs.
- Serve as a product expert by resolving issues with engineers, production personnel, business unit personnel on problems relating to a design or customer order project. Answer questions that other departments or sites have regarding product design and capabilities.
- Demonstrate consistent adherence to quality standards by continually seeking methods of improvement for all functions of the position.
- Ensure all products and parts adequately meet Eaton’s quality guidelines as they move throughout the production process and will perform quality checks routinely.
- Receive and carry out work assignments from leaders and internal stakeholders to fulfill customer orders in a timely manner and participate on special projects as needed.
- Perform root cause analyses as needed to identify and eliminate root causes of safety, quality, or productivity issues resulting from bus bar layout designs.
- Work with cross-functional team members to effectively complete work assignments.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Associate’s degree in Engineering, Engineering / Mechanical technology, or Drafting from an accredited institution OR HS diploma/GED from an accredited institution with 1 year experience in designing switchboard bus bar layouts.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship now or in the future.
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50-mile radius of the work location will be considered. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering technology or engineering field highly desired
- 1-2 years of experience in engineering / configuring electrical equipment
- Strong product knowledge of Switchboards and Panelboards
- Knowledge of Eaton applications (Bid Manager, POM, AS400, MAPICS)
- Minimum two-year commitment to support full project deployment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, persuasive skills, and analytical problem-solving skills. Work with individuals and groups to effectively participate within team environment.
- Demonstrated comprehension of drafting standards and techniques and capability to visualize components, features, and assemblies in a 3D space
- Must be proficient with commonly used CAD tools and Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Word, Excel, and SharePoint).
- Willing to work flexible hours and overtime in support of business needs.
- Promote a zero-incident safety culture by complying with all safety and industrial hygiene procedures and requirements
Working knowledge of AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters.