At EMJ, we are more than just General Contractors. We are People Serving People. In business for more than 50 years and a recognized leader in the construction industry, we strive to provide unique value and an unmatched client experience by living our values of selfless, trustworthy, and gritty.
We are looking for the next generation of leaders to grow with us. Our Intern/Co-Op program is hiring motivated, self-sufficient go-getters who desire hands-on experience in various roles of the construction industry. This three term program prepares students for their lifelong careers by giving them invaluable experience that will bring the lessons learned in college classrooms to life.
Our Dallas office is looking for a 2-3 Interns or Co-Ops for the Spring semester of 2022.
The Co-Op/Intern position assists all team members of a project. This position is ideally a multiple semester (non-consecutive) rotation through the focus areas below that promotes a well-rounded experience to educate on the basics of the entire construction progress. The student is encouraged to use self-motivation to seek out educational opportunities among team members to expand upon the learning objectives outlined below. The Student should try to experience at least one example of the objectives below during each applicable term as a Co-Op/Intern.
What You Will Be Doing in This Role:
- Identify and mitigate safety issues and conduct a safety meeting
- Identify and mitigate SWPPP issues and conduct a SWPPP inspection
- Create an RFI and understand the log
- Participate in the quality control program and conduct a first work inspection
- Prepare daily reports
- Read and understand subcontract agreements
- Update and maintain the job site plans
- Read and understand shop drawings
- Participate in a planning meeting
- Update the Project Manager’s drawings
- Assist in the close out process
- Assist in preparing submittal logs and reviewing select submittals
- Assist in the payment process, and collecting lien waivers
- Assist in preparing a material delivery log
- Collect subcontractor pricing and verify scope
- Participate in a OAC or BIC Meeting
- Assist in bid solicitation
- Assist in bid preparation
- Conduct a reference check
- Participate in a buyout meeting
- Perform a quantity take off
- Assist in budgeting
What You Will Need For This Role:
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree – preferably in Building Construction Science, Construction Management, Civil Engineering, or another related field
- Complete OSHA 10 hour course during first semester
- Valid driver’s license and ability to run errands for projects/jobsites
- Open to travel if assigned to a jobsite or Dallas office