Fort Worth Magazine’s objective is to challenge our readers with in-depth reporting and analysis of issues, with an underlying mission of discovering what is unique about Fort Worth and its people. We strive to enlighten, inform and entertain our readers with a passion for excellence as demonstrated with quality writing, superior graphics, printing and photography.
The magazine offers a comprehensive internship program for college students and recent graduates interested in magazine journalism and publishing. Editorial interns will have opportunities for their stories to be published, which will build their writing portfolio necessary for future career opportunities in this field. They will gain hands-on experience while working alongside people with years of industry knowledge and skill, as well as make connections that can help in future endeavors.
During an internship, a minimum of 12 hours of work per week is required in the office (or 12 hours designated for internship work, if working remotely), and the rest of the assignments may be worked on from home (or outside designated hours, if working remotely). Positions are unpaid but offer invaluable experience in all aspects of magazine journalism.
The intern will be supervised by the magazine’s managing editor and receive routine feedback for their work.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Covering local events and submitting reports for publication in the magazine or online
- Writing brief blurbs and listings
- Fact-checking through phone calls, e-mail and internet
- Managing the front desk and main phone
- Running errands as needed (e.g. collecting or returning items used in photo shoots, picking up documents, checking out an off-site location, etc.)
- Working on projects for other departments and publications as availability permits
If you have additional questions, please contact managing editor, Samantha Calimbahin, firstname.lastname@example.org.