At Greenbrier, we do the hard work that matters. The Greenbrier Companies (NYSE: GBX) is a leading designer, manufacturer and supplier of freight rail and marine transportation equipment and services, powering the movement of products around the world. Greenbrier’s innovation and engineering expertise pairs with our capacity to build and repair freight transportation equipment. This allows us to provide an unrivaled level of service to our customers across the Americas, Europe and countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council. Greenbrier also provides asset management services and a unique railcar leasing syndication platform that brings us into contact with the world’s leading fixed asset investors.
Greenbrier’s heritage of hard work and industrial innovation is celebrated at every level of our organization. We structure our business to support teams that deliver innovative solutions for our customers and positively impact the world around us.
Plan, organize and perform engineering assignments including the design of modifications and repairs of rail cars, parts, and components or assigned phases or major projects as well as special projects.
- Trained in accordance with job responsibilities and applicable specifications
- Prepare working plans, detailed drawings and complete mechanical drawings and layouts of components and assemblies such as schematics; interconnect lists and parts breakdowns from notes, verbal instructions and rough or detailed sketches
- Create scopes of work for modifications, in-service repairs, and warranty repairs of tank and freight rail cars
- Prepare stress analysis and reports as required
- Review product design plans to ensure accuracy of plans and compliance to design specifications.
- Performs technical calculations, select and specify tolerances, materials, components, etc. as required in the product design
- Use CAD equipment and software to develop designs or revise designs
- Utilize part numbering and drawing numbering system and prepare material list
- Work closely with suppliers to approve their product’s application to our design
- Assist Reliability Engineering with data source integration and analysis of tank and freight car maintenance data
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) or similar engineering degree
- Engineering work experience desirable, but not required
- CAD drafting and design, time management, and accuracy skills
- Knowledge and understanding of rail car systems, components, steel structure and steel fabrication is desirable, but not required
- Ability to create designs that are functional, durable and cost efficient