At Johnson & Johnson, we use technology and the power of teamwork to discover new ways to prevent and overcome the world’s the most significant healthcare challenges. Our Corporate, Consumer Health, Medical Devices, and Pharmaceutical teams leverage data, real-world insights, and creative minds to make life-changing healthcare products and medicines. We’re disrupting outdated healthcare ecosystems and infusing them with transformative ideas to help people thrive throughout every stage of their lives. With a reach of more than a billion people every day, there’s no limit to the impact you can make here. Are you ready to reimagine healthcare?
Here, your career breakthroughs will change the future of health, in all the best ways. And you’ll change, too. You’ll be inspired, and you’ll inspire people across the world to change how they care for themselves and those they love. Amplify your impact. Join us!
Research & Development Internship Overview:
J&J R&D encompasses the development of advanced materials, process improvements, risk management and mechanical testing through the development process across all sectors including Pharmaceutical, Medical Device, Consumer and Corporate/Enterprise. We offer a fast-paced cross-functional, technologically advanced, corporate environment, passionate about developing individual engineering and scientific skills. You will have the opportunity to learn about anatomy, disease states, deformities and the surgical procedure/products used to address these conditions.
Life as an R&D Intern:
The R&D Intern program provides each student with real-life hands-on experience, coaching and mentoring, networking opportunities, as well as the opportunity to meet people from various schools throughout the country. We plan on hiring 150+ Intern Students across several functional roles within Research & Development. Each Intern will be assigned to a single function with a specific project for the 4-month Internship term.
- The typical Summer term is from May 2, 2022 – August 26, 2022
- Some teams may offer an extended Internship term
- The Internship may be virtual/remote, while other business critical roles will be onsite and may require relocation.
- Career mentorship is available with endless networking opportunities within assigned team and beyond
- Assignment area and work-site location will be matched to business needs
- Some roles may offer one-time housing stipend assistance if you are assigned to work onsite
- Housing assistance includes a onetime stipend for students to use at their discretion
- For roles that require you to work on site, transportation is the student’s responsibility
- Full time availability (40 hours per week)
- Pay rate is determined based on the grade level at time of offer. Undergrad Sophomore $21.00/hr, Undergrad Junior $23.00/hr, Undergrad Senior $24.50/hr, pursuing master’s degree $28.50/hr, pursuing PhD $40/hr
- This position is overtime eligible
- Employee may be eligible to participate in Company employee benefit programs, such as medical benefits, sick time and holiday pay, in accordance with the terms of the applicable plans
Available Internship Areas Include:
- Biotherapeutics Development
- Drug Development
- Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Cell Therapy/Development
- Wound Closure & Repair
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Immunology, Oncology, Neuroscience, Toxicology, Vision
- Women’s Health
- Biomaterials, Biostatistics
- Medical Writing
- Scientist- various roles
- Scientific Computing
- Data Analytics, Data Management, Statistics
- Global Regulatory Affairs
- Global Product Development
- Business/ Research Operations
- Quality/Development Engineering
- Biomechanical Testing
- Customer Quality Investigation
- Software Testing, Hardware
- Scientific Computing
Please note that while locations/facilities have been aligned to our Internships and Co-Ops positions, assignments could be virtual due to the uncertainties of COVID-19.
- High demand: New Jersey (Titusville, Raritan, Somerville, New Brunswick)
- High demand: Pennsylvania (Spring House, Malvern, Fort Washington, West Chester)
- Other locations: Jacksonville, FL, Warsaw, IN, Raynham, MA, Fremont, Irvine, Irwindale, Los Angeles, Milpitas, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Ana, South San Francisco, CA, Colorado Springs, CO, Monument, CO
- Engineering (Mechanical, Biomedical, Industrial, Electrical, Materials, Software, Chemical, etc.)
- Science (Biology, Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Neuroscience etc.)
- Data Science, Statistics, Business Analytics, Mathematics
- Finance, Economics, Business, Marketing
- Information Technology, Computer Science
- Supply Chain, Information Systems, Packaging Sciences
- Pharmacology, PharmD, Psychology, Sociology
- Exercise Science, Food Science, Human Science/Development
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. and must not require sponsorship for employment visa status now, or in the future (ex. H1-B, F-1)
- Candidates must be actively enrolled in an accredited University for the duration of the internship assignment pursuing a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree
- Minimum GPA of 2.8 is required
- Completion of Undergraduate Freshmen year at an accredited University is required
- Ability to demonstrate strong analytical and quantitative skills is required
- Excellent communication, presentation, and leadership skills are preferred
- Ability to balance multiple projects and initiatives while executing results
- Must be a self-starter works independently while contributing to the team goals
- Proven leadership/participation with campus programs and/or community service activities is desired
Learn more about the R&D Sectors:
The Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms, and technologies — including sutures, surgical staplers, advanced energy, robotic surgery, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women’s health conditions, hernias, oncology, and obesity.
Janssen Research & Development discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in immunology, oncology, neuroscience, infectious diseases & vaccines, pulmonary hypertension, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases.
DePuy Synthes offers the world’s most comprehensive portfolio of orthopedic and neuro products and services for join reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neuro, cranio-maxillofacial power tools and biomaterials.
Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc develops products in the adult skin and hair, feminine care, oral health, wound care, infant, kids and teen categories. Included are such brand names as Band-Aid Adhesive Bandages, Johnson & Johnson’s Baby products, Neutrogena, Aveeno, Clean & Clear, Neostrata, Listerine, OGX, Rogaine and Tylenol.
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc. is a worldwide company with operations in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia-Pacific and Europe / Middle East / Africa regions. Research, innovation, and new-product development are the focus of our organization. Since we introduced soft disposable contact lenses in 1988, no other manufacturer has matched the aggressive expansion of our wide-ranging ACUVUE® family of products.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
#JNJUndergraduate #JNJInternship #JNJResearchAndDevelopment