The Mary and John Gray Library at Lamar University seeks an innovative, enthusiastic, self-motivated, technology-savvy, service-oriented individual to serve as Technical Services Librarian. The Technical Services Librarian will be responsible for building and managing a process that seamlessly and efficiently meets the information needs of users. Reporting to the Head of Technical Services, the successful candidate will be a key player in providing access to information resources, regardless of location, using technologies and services, such as Article Galaxy Scholar and RapidILL. This is a non-tenure track, 12-month faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with knowledge and experience.
Who We Are:
Lamar University is a diverse and accessible global university for life-long learners with a passion for broad-based community engagement. As a vital contributor to the socioeconomic wellbeing and resilience of the Gulf Coast region, our expertise is recognized locally and beyond. Lamar University is home to more than 17,000 students and is among the fastest growing Texas colleges and universities. LU is a member of The Texas State University System, which is the first higher education system of Texas and maintains the lowest average tuition and fees of any university system in Texas. With more than 100 degree options and a community that cares, Lamar students are always proud to be Cardinals.
Lamar University is committed to fostering a culture of diversity where students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds can learn, work, and serve.
Living in the Area:
With a population of over 115,000 in Beaumont and 409,000 in the Beaumont-Port Arthur Metropolitan area, the region boasts a lower cost of living than the national average and most cities in the state. The area’s destiny changed course dramatically in 1901 when the first oil well blew in the nearby Spindletop field and turned the area from a quiet lumber and port town into a thriving oil and gas economy, with one of the largest concentrations of oil refineries, oil, and petrochemical-related businesses in the state. This has given way to countless job opportunities in the area – for science, research, engineering, and higher education. Living in Beaumont has a cosmopolitan and small-town feel wrapped in one – it can be fast paced, as people typically live and work closely together, but also has strong small town community roots and friendly neighbors ready to lend a hand. There is always a new restaurant to try and good nightlife in the area. Education options are abundant in Beaumont, with all education rankings high on national and statewide levels compared to other cities. The gulf coastline offers sweeping, gorgeous sunsets and beach strolls, with exciting places like Houston or Lake Charles, LA for getaways only an hour away.
- Plan, design, coordinate, and evaluate procedures and policies in consultation with faculty and staff to advance extended collections.
- Publicize and promote extended collections services across campus.
- Maintain current awareness of developments in extended collections.
- Initiate the acquisition of resources.
- Coordinate and provide direction for interlibrary loan (ILL), document delivery, and patron-driven acquisitions.
- Organize and manage the library’s electronic reserves service.
- Create reports to communicate unit operations.
- Contribute to library, university, and professional level service activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- MLS/MIS or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program with a minimum of three years of experience in an academic library working in a related department.
- Ability to work with a diverse population to plan, organize, coordinate, and facilitate projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills with a strong customer service orientation.
- Capacity to establish and maintain collegial relationships.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), ILL management systems, library integrated systems, and course management systems.
- Supervisory experience
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Proficiency with Tipasa