Job Title: Teacher
Reports to: Campus Principal
Dept.: Assigned Campus
Exemption Status: Exempt/Professional
Provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences in the core academic subject area assigned
to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Enable students to develop competencies and skills to function successfully in society.
· Bachelor’s Degree from accredited University
· Valid Texas teaching certificate with required endorsements or training for subject and level assigned
· Demonstrated competency in the core academic subject area assigned
· ESL Certification required for all Elementary (K-5) positions
· ESL Certification required for ELA, Math, Science, Social Studies, Special Education (6-12)
· ESL Certification preferred for all other special/elective content areas
· Knowledge of core academic subject assigned
· Knowledge of curriculum and instruction
· Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
· Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
· Develop and implement lesson plans that fulfill the requirements of district’s curriculum program and show written evidence of preparation as required. Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for differences in individual students.
· Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, equipment, and technology that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of student’s assigned and present subject matter according to guidelines established by Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative regulations.
· Conduct assessment of student learning styles and use results to plan instructional activities.
· Work cooperatively with education teachers to modify curricula as needed for special education students according to guidelines established in Individual Education Plans (IEP).
· Work with other members of staff to determine instructional goals, objectives, and methods according to district requirements.
· Plan and assign work to instructional aide(s) and volunteer(s) and oversee completion.
· Conduct ongoing assessment of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
· Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned. Sponsor outside activities approved by the campus principal.
· Be a positive role model for students; support mission of school district.
· Create classroom environment conductive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
· Manage student behavior in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and Student Handbook.
· Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
· Assist in selecting books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
· Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records and other documents required.
· Establish and maintain a professional relationship and open communication with parents, students, colleagues, and community members.
· Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
· Comply with state, district, and school regulations and policies are classroom teachers.
· Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
· Direct the work of assigned instructional aide(s).
· Performs other duties as assigned.
As assigned by Campus Principal
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Personal computer and peripherals; standard instructional equipment
Posture: Prolonged standing; frequent kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Frequent walking
Lifting: Regular light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds) ; may lift and move text books and classroom equipment
Environment: Work inside, may work outside; regular exposure to noise
Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under stress; work prolonged or irregular hours
This job description describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.