RWE Renewables Americas LLC, Austin, Vereinigte Staaten (US)
To start as soon as possible, Full time, Permanent
Functional area: Renewables
This role will be focused on wind turbine blade engineering as part of the wind turbine generator engineering team within the Asset Engineering Americas department of RWE Renewables. The blade engineers are component specialists within the larger wind turbine engineering team and provide support and expertise on rotor blades for Development, Construction, and Operations of wind farms. This role will support the breadth of potential and existing blade assets in the United States from consideration of a turbine at a project site to repowering and decommissioning with effort on Operational success and needed repair at existing projects. The job also covers support of the other blade engineers globally. As RWE Renewables is growing in terms of managed assets as the existing fleet ages, the position supports the growing asset base and growing maintenance needs which often come with age.
1. Adhere to the Company’s values and behaviors as aspired by RWE and the RWE NA Operations Vision.
2. Analyze the existing blade failure modes in the RWE fleet, including North America and Europe Onshore and Offshore.
3. Evaluate the criticality of each failure mode in terms of damage propagation and risk of catastrophic failure.
4. Develop new and amend existing work instructions for blade repairs to be used on site in the US.
5. Knowledge of the different blade types, integral, spar/shell and web blades.
6. Knowledge of the HSE requirements for work in the US.
7. Perform blade damage dispositions.
8. Perform blade repair reports quality review.
9. Support of repair crews while performing complex repairs.
10. Evaluation of quality of blade repairs done by contractors.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
11. Support the team with the blade unscheduled-maintenance model revision and update, based on the previous operational data.
12. Perform all other duties assigned as may be required from time to time.
13. Monitor and report blade failure rates using reliability methodology
14. Support of organizational quality process and governance document continuous improvement
15. Support of root cause analysis and corrective action for blade damages and failures.
16. Develop and improve existing inspection, repair and due diligence processes.
Affinity with operations and/or maintenance of electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic systems and a focus on composites in wind energy
THIS IS AN ENTRY-LEVEL ROLE. ALL CONTENT BELOW IS DESIRED BUT NOT REQUIRED.
• Demonstrated experience in blade damage assessment and experience across multiple manufactures (i.e. GE, Siemens, Vestas, Gamesa, Acciona, Nordex, Mitsubishi, Goldwind) and repair types is preferred. Experience with a wind turbine Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) is a bonus.
• Candidate may have proven experience in one of the following areas of Design of blades, Manufacturing of blades and Designing blade repairs.
• Knowledge in industry standards and recommended practices (IEC, DNVGL, ASME, ASTM, ACMA, etc.) is preferred
• The blade inspection process. This is, what are the steps to perform a quality inspection from damage identification to repair reporting. Techniques, skills and tools needed to inspect the different type of damages in wind turbine blades, including (but not limited): Shell damage (including outer/inner skin and core material), First layer of glass & core, root cracks on the filler/coating/paint material, TE debond (no laminate damage) Internal damages, like lightning, shell or web cracks and debond between web and shell, evaluation of root cracks (superficial vs glass) Root cracks not going all the way through the laminate TE debond (including laminate damage)
• Possess the core competencies required to access, assess, and inspect significant structural (CAT III and above) blade damage.
• Other skills that will be considered a bonus are: Design of lightning protective systems. Experience with electromagnetic analysis. Experience with CAD and structural analysis of composite material
We look forward to meeting you!
We value diversity and therefore welcome all applications, irrespective of gender, disability, nationality, ethnic and social background, religion and beliefs, age or sexual orientation and identity.
Of course, you can find us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Xing, too.
RWE represents change, innovation and sustainability. As one of the world’s leading generators of electricity from renewable energy sources, we aim to be carbon-neutral by 2040 and to enable a sustainable life for people around the world. To achieve this, we invest heavily in the expansion of our renewables´ capacities. Our broad portfolio includes flexible, conventional energies and helps us provide clean, reliable and affordable electricity. 120 years of experience in the energy world and our four operative segments – renewable energies, lignite and nuclear power, European electricity generation from gas, coal, hydropower and biomass as well as global energy trading – are the foundation for the innovations of tomorrow. To achieve this, we are looking for dynamic and motivated people to join us in creating a sustainable and secure energy future.
RWE Renewables GmbH, based in Essen, Germany, is RWE’s youngest subsidiary and one of the world’s leading companies in the field of renewable energies. With an international team of around 3,500 employees, we are drivers of the energy transition – and provide electricity for a sustainable life. Our total capacity of more than 9 gigawatts results from onshore and offshore wind parks, photovoltaic plants and battery storage. We focus on growth: on the American continent, on the European core markets and on new markets in the Asia-Pacific region.