Founded in 1866, The Sherwin-Williams Company is a global leader in the manufacture, development, distribution, and sale of paints, coatings and related products to professional, industrial, commercial, and retail customers. The company manufactures products under well-known brands such as Sherwin-Williams®, Valspar®, HGTV HOME® by Sherwin-Williams, Dutch Boy®, Krylon®, Minwax®, Thompson’s® Water Seal®, Cabot® and many more. Sherwin-Williams® branded products are sold exclusively through a chain of more than 4,100 company-operated stores and facilities, while the company’s other brands are sold through leading mass merchandisers, home centers, independent paint dealers, hardware stores, automotive retailers, and industrial distributors. The company supplies a broad range of highly-engineered industrial and OEM coatings for wood and general industrial, coil, packaging, protective and marine, and transportation applications worldwide. Our 60,000 employees are diverse, innovative and passionate. With a variety of rewarding and challenging opportunities, Sherwin-Williams is a great place to find a career that takes you places.
This position is a 12 week internship experience for the Performance Coatings Group R&D Division that will take place over the summer. Interns will be assigned to a specific lab and project team where they will have periodic reviews to evaluate their performance. This opportunity will allow them to gain experience in work groups and other R&D professionals at Sherwin-Williams.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Provide support to technicians, chemists and scientists within assigned Research & Development Group.
- Perform a variety of laboratory tasks utilizing general instruments and advanced lab equipment.
- Collaborate with other research and development team members to complete required tasks, including process chemistry and engineering and material science research groups.
- Complete appropriate research documentation, calculations, and data analysis and effectively communicate these results with supervisor and team members.
- Prepare basic samples, materials, equipment, and other required tools for laboratory tests or development.
- Perform basic technical development, tests, analyses, and research based on formulas and project requirements.
- Complete appropriate forms and documentation regarding research and development processes, tasks, results, reports and conclusions; receives direction from other technicians or chemists on specialized or complex issues.
- Perform basic calculations to prepare, perform, and conclude tests and analyses.
- Clean, maintain and calibrate standard equipment and maintain a clean and safe working environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
o Must have a current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
o Must be pursuing a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Ph D. degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) related field
o Must have a High School diploma or the equivalent of a High School diploma
o Currently at a Sophomore or Junior standing
o Actively working towards a degree in any of the following: coatings, chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, or polymer science.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
o Basic understanding of laboratory practices and safety
o Microsoft Word for technical reporting and Excel for data analysis
o Excellent verbal and written communication skills
o Ideal candidate will have previous work experience in a lab
o Local candidates
- Must be able to sit, stand, hear, and see on a constant basis.
- Must be able to walk, write, and type on a frequent basis.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to climb and descend stairs.
- Must be able to bend, carry, reach, push, and pull on an occasional basis.
- Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing.
- May work indoors and outdoors as needed. Exposure to heat up to 120 degrees and cold to 0 degrees.
- May work in areas where noise level is such that hearing protection is required.
- May work in areas where toxic, flammable, and hazardous materials are present.
- May be exposed to varying amounts of dust and dirt.
- Work surfaces may include concrete.
- Employee must be able to tolerate non-toxic paint odors and be able to wear a respirator as required.
- Employee must be able to operate a computer and communicate via telephone.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: 0%
- Must have a current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be pursuing a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Ph D. degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) related field
- Must have a High School diploma or the equivalent of a High School diploma
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status.
- Must be available to work 40 hours per week (first shift) for a total of 12 weeks.
- Basic understanding of laboratory practices and safety
- Microsoft Word for technical reporting and Excel for data analysis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills