Texas Health Resources seeks to hire a Medical Librarian to work full time in their Information Resources Department.
This position will be located at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas located at 8200 Walnut Hill Lane, Dallas TX 75231.
Salary range is Minimum $24.66/hr. to Maximum $37.65/hr. – based on relevant experience
- Full Time; 1st Shift
- This position will support the Medical Library’s at Texas Health Dallas and Texas Health Fort Worth and will require travel to entities across the system.
Staffs the Reference Desk during assigned hours. Responsibilities (this applies to all Medical Librarian positions):
- Provides Reference and Research Services – serves as lead searcher.
- Conducts reference interviews with patrons requesting library services using PICO.
- Communicates accurate and appropriate library policies, fees, etc. to patrons requesting services
- Selects appropriate resources and retrieves information from print and electronic sources to meet patron information needs.
- Offers assistance and instruction to patrons using print and electronic resources.
- Maintains statistics and utilizes appropriate authorities when updating databases.
Provides circulation, inter-library loan, document delivery and other public services.
- Communicates accurate and appropriate library policies, fees, etc. to patrons requesting services.
- Provides requested articles from the library’s print and electronic resources.
- Orders items from other libraries using NLM’s Docline system.
- Tracks ILL requests through the Docline system until items are received and made available to patrons.
- Responds promptly to ILL Docline requests from other libraries.
- Creates and/or updates paper and electronic records for all requests and circulation transactions.
- Maintains statistics on daily traffic, use of library materials and reshelves materials.
- Educates user regarding copyright compliance.
- Manages cataloging and database management of acquisitions. Maintains OPAC database for collection holdings. Performs original cataloging for items as needed. Maintains URL links in the CyberTools catalog for linking to online versions of print books in the collection. Performs shelf list inventory as needed to maintain integrity of the online catalog.
Library Efficient Operations
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in Library Science or Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited University program required
- 1-year professional experience in a health science library required
- Ability to develop and execute Boolean logic-based search strategies for retrieving specific information.
- Ability to use an Internet search engine effectively.
- Ability to select appropriate print and electronic resources for retrieving information for patrons.
- Ability to catalogue and classify and to select and organize appropriate cataloging elements when commercial records are not available.
- Ability to use (or learn to use) automated library systems.
- Ability to use word processing and spreadsheet software to create, maintain, update documents.
- Ability to write and speak using standard English, grammar to communicate effectively with library patrons by e-mail, telephone, fax, mail and in person.
Why Texas Health Resources?
Texas Health Resources is one of the largest faith-based, nonprofit health care delivery systems in the United States and the largest in North Texas in terms of patients served.
Texas Health has 25 acute-care and short-stay hospitals that are owned, operated, joint-ventured or affiliated with the system. It has more than 3,800 licensed beds, more than 21,100 employees of fully-owned/operated facilities plus 1,400 employees of consolidated joint ventures and counts more than 5,500 physicians with active staff privileges at its hospitals.
At Texas Health, we strive to create an atmosphere of respect, integrity, compassion and excellence for all who come in contact with us, be they patients or our employees. We are committed to diversity in our workforce, and our mission to serve spreads across ethnic, cultural, economic and generational boundaries. We invite you to join us in furthering your career through our accomplishments and philosophy of excellence.
Texas Health Highlights:
- Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® 2020 (#15) (6th year in a row)
- Fortune’s list of Best Workplaces in Health Care (#1)
- Employees’ Choice “Best Places to Work” by Glassdoor (2018 and 2019