Posting Number: 2021020
Location: San Marcos
Department: University Libraries
Recruitment Type: Open to All
Job Type: Full-Time
Monthly Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Job Category: Exempt
Required Qualifications Applicants must specifically address how they meet these required qualifications to meet the requirements of the position.
- Master’s degree from an ALA accredited program.
- familiarity with current theory, practices, issues and trends related to information literacy instruction.
- writing skills to create instructional materials, statistical reports, and general correspondence
- oral communication and presentation abilities.
- skill in discerning patrons’ research needs and executing advanced search strategies.
- computer skills and familiarity with emerging technologies.
- skill in handling multiple responsibilities in a changing environment.
- interpersonal skills.
- initiative and ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- problem solving and decision-making skills.
- knowledge of trends and current practices in user engagement and the development of undergraduate-focused services.
- Knowledge of instructional planning and design.
- Knowledge of assessment and evaluation methods in Information Literacy instruction.
- Skills in promoting and marketing programs to the university community.
- Knowledge of collection development practices and requirements.
- Knowledge of general library and campus resources & services.
- Knowledge of visual communication or graphic design skills.
The Albert B. Alkek Library at Texas State University is seeking forward-thinking, user-oriented, energetic, collaborative applicants for the position of Undergraduate Instruction and Outreach Librarian. Reporting to the Head of Undergraduate Instruction and Outreach, this position teaches information literacy (and other associated digital literacies) skills, provides research consultations and chat reference service, and develops and initiates outreach and services focused on undergraduate students.
Create and initiate outreach efforts focused on lower-division undergraduate students using various traditional and creative methods. Assist in promotion of undergraduate-focused programming in Information & Undergraduate Services. Develop and maintain various instructional and promotional materials, including tutorials, web pages, social media, and other media formats; assist with web page maintenance. Plan and teach formal library instruction classes in both traditional and online classroom settings, targeted to lower-level undergraduates and students in assigned subject area(s) classes. Participate in evaluation of instruction program and outcome assessment of instruction sessions as well as collaborate with faculty and other academic professionals in planning, implementing, and assessing information literacy programming. Conduct and design assessment efforts targeting undergraduate courses such as English 1320. Promote the resources of the library, working towards integrating information literacy and research skills into the undergraduate curriculum. Provide quality reference services to library patrons primarily via virtual reference services and via research consultations. Occasionally assists with coverage of Ask Alkek Desk. Interview, interpret, and analyze patron’s information needs. Synthesize a variety of information sources to provide the most relevant information to each patron. Participate in collection development for general collection materials and assigned subject area(s). Communicate and develop relationships with Faculty in assigned departments. Develop creative and proactive methods of interaction with faculty & students. Act as primary point of contact on weekend shifts or as needed during the week. Engage in professional activities in accordance with Texas State University’s standards for promotion for professional librarians.
Additional Information to Applicants
Advancement in rank is available through the Librarian/Curator Career Ladder. Available ranks include Assistant Librarian, Associate Librarian and Librarian
Job Open Date: 09/29/2020
Open Until Filled: Yes
Normal Work Days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Normal Work Hours Start: 8:00AM
Normal Work Hours End: 5:00PM
YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO ELECTRONICALLY ATTACH A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO YOUR APPLICATION.