|LOCATION:||Universal Academy – Irving|
|JOB DESCRIPTION:||Supervise and manage the school library/media center. Provide services and resources that allow students to develop skills in locating, evaluating, synthesizing, and using information to solve problems. Serve as teacher, materials expert, and curriculum adviser to ensure that library/media center is involved in instructional programs of the school.|
Master’s degree from accredited college or university (for individuals certified after January 23, 2001)
Valid Texas librarian or learning resources specialist certificate or endorsement
Knowledge of library science
Ability to instruct and manage student behavior
Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
|DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:||Instruction
1. Provide group instruction and individual guidance to students to help them locate resources and use research techniques.
2. Consult teachers on appropriate use of materials and help them schedule materials for classroom instruction.
3. Serve as information resource for users of library/media center materials and provide staff development opportunities for teachers on the availability and use of campus and district learning resources.
4. Effectively plan school library program to meet identified needs.
5. Assist in preparation of bibliographies and curriculum guides.
6. Manage acquisitions, processing, organizing, distribution, maintenance, and inventory of resources.
7. Coordinate development and maintenance of community resource file.
8. Maintain schedules for instructional television programs and encourage use of video programs for educational purposes.
9. Create a library/media center environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity level and interests of students.
10. Use appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
11. Carry out discipline in accordance with board policies and administrative regulations.
12. Interact with students to promote positive attitudes toward school library.
13. Compile, budget and cost estimates based on documented program needs.
14. Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required.
15. Comply with federal and state laws, State Board of Education rule, and board policy in the library/media services area.
16. Develop and coordinate a continuing evaluation of the library/media center program and make changes based on the findings.
17. Comply with all district and campus routines and regulations.
18. Maintain a positive and effective relationship with supervisors.
19. Communicate effectively with colleagues, students, and parents.
Supervise clerical aide(s), student aides, and volunteers.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Climbing, stretching, frequent light lifting of books, boxes.
|REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:||___ years experience in library/media center in public school setting|