**In order to be considered for an hourly student employee position, you must upload a completed Student Employment Application CLICK ( HERE) Please save it under other documents and be sure to mark your documents as visible so employers can see them.
* Job Description
Salary: $12 per hour.
Please be advised this is a part-time, temporary position.
Job Summary: The Academic Coach is responsible for facilitating and assessing the academic skills and abilities of an assigned group of student-athletes and provides academic skill development instruction. The individual works with the other academic coaches, learning specialists, and academic advisors in coordinating and implementing the academic support services unique to the UNT Academic Services Office.
Duties and Essential Job Functions:
Provides academic skill development in important areas of learning for academic success such as time management, organization, self-advocacy, study strategies, test preparation, note taking and reading comprehension. Conducts one-on-one academic meetings with a caseload of students, teaches learning strategies and addresses academic needs.
Prepares summary reports and updates for academic advisors and the learning specialist. Maintains confidentiality of student-athlete files. Understands that rules compliance is a critical element of this position and adheres to the NCAA, Conference USA and university rules, regulations, and policies. Contributes to the maintenance of good working relationships with all members of the department. Assists student-athletes to set academic goals (short and long term). Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
Enrolled in a master’s, professional or teacher education program, or currently enrolled in bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a focus in education, counseling, behavior science, or related fields. Demonstrated record of academic achievement.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
· Knowledge to teach study skills and time management techniques.
· Knowledge of curriculum and degree requirements.
· Knowledge of customer service techniques.
· Knowledge of communications and interpersonal techniques.
· Knowledge to establish and maintain databases.
· Skill in some or all components of Microsoft Office.
· Skill in communication and organization.
· Ability to clearly communicate information.
· Ability to draft grammatically correct correspondence.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
· Ability to interact with students.
· Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
Physical Requirements (With or Without Accommodations):
· Visual acuity to read information from computer screens, forms and other printed materials and information.
· Able to speak (enunciate) clearly in conversation and general communication.
· Hearing ability for verbal communication/conversation/responses via telephone, telephone systems, and face-to-face interactions.
· Manual dexterity for typing, writing, standing and reaching, flexibility, body movement for bending, crouching, walking, kneeling and prolonged sitting.
· Lifting and moving objects and equipment up to 10 lbs.
· Work is indoors and sedentary and is subject to schedule changes and/or variable work hours.
· There are no harmful environmental conditions present for this job.
· The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate.
**Due to the critical nature of this position, a conditional job offer is extended contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check. If selected, a start date will be provided once the final results of your check are received. UNT reserves the right to review all information provided by applicants, including information provided on the application, information receives during reference checks, or criminal background checks to verify the suitability for employment of any applicant. An offer of employment may be rescinded due to an unsuccessful background investigation.
Equal Opportunity Statement
**The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit – and takes actions to prevent – discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Additional documents are required
Please pay attention to any additional required documents. Due to Handshake only allowing one document under the “other” category to be up-loaded to job applications, please combine your other documents such as class schedule or financial aid award with your resume or your cover letter and save it to your documents before you apply to this position.
About University of North Texas – Student Employment
The UNT Student Employment Office is located in the Career Center! We’re here to help on-campus departments hire, develop and retain hourly student employees. We also provide assistance and trainings for UNT students seeking employment and current student employees.
NOTIFICATION OF COMPLIANCE WITH NCAA REGULATIONS:
This job description includes the expectation of compliance with NCAA regulations. An institutional staff member who is found in violation of NCAA regulations shall be subject to disciplinary or corrective action as set forth in the provisions of the NCAA enforcement procedures, including suspension without pay or termination of employment for significant or repetitive violations.