College Work Study
**MUST HAVE RECEIVED AND ACCEPTED A COLLEGE WORK STUDY AWARD TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION. You must have your Financial Aid Award Letter or a copy of your awards from your MyUNT account uploaded to your Eagle Careers profile before you can apply.
In this position you will help maintain the order of the collection at Willis Library. This includes shelving books, collecting materials used in the library, keeping statistics on in-house use of materials, keeping the shelves neat and in call-number order, and shifting materials from one area to another. You will also answer informational/directional questions, retrieve books from the stacks, and assist various projects and other duties as assigned. Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work independently are a must. Employees are required to follow University and Library COVID guidelines.
Hours Available: Monday-Friday 9am-6pm. Weekend hours not available.
Hours per Week: 10 – 24 hours per week regular; 10 – 20 hours per week work-study
- Work assigned hours
- Work independently
- Be self-motivated and have initiative in work duties
- Work in a fast-paced environment
- Utilize excellent customer service skills
- Follow university and library policy for accurate time reporting
- Access narrow book aisles
- Sit or stand for long periods of time
- Respond to patron inquiries in the stacks
- Lift boxes up to 50 pounds, push book trucks up to 200 pounds, shift heavy material, and rearrange heavy shelving
- Collect materials used in the library
- Maintain statistics on in-house use of materials
- Shelve books in call number order using Library of Congress call number system
- Keep shelves dusted, neat, and clean
- Use Microsoft Teams and Outlook for communication
- Job duties may change depending on the needs of the department
- Ability to follow directions
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Basic computer skills
- 6 months of customer service experience
- 6 months of library experience
- Previous experience using an integrated library system
- Knowledge of call number systems
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations
- Familiarity with UNT, UNT libraries, and UNT services
There is a two-step process to apply:
- You will need to apply online with the Student Employment Application via Handshake.
- You must also submit a cover letter and resume via Handshake, then forward a copy of these documents, the Student Employment Application, and a copy of your expected Summer 2021 class schedule (if any) and your work availability, to the Stacks Management Supervisor at Angela.Whitfield@unt.edu.
Note: This position does not involve computer programming, and it does NOT offer a tuition waiver.
**Due to the critical nature of this position, a conditional job offer is extended contingent upon successful completion of a background check. If selected, a start date will be provided once the final results of your check are received. UNT reserves the right to review all information provided by applicants, including information provided on the application, information receives during reference checks, or background checks to verify the suitability for employment of any applicant. An offer of employment may be rescinded due to an unsuccessful background investigation.
Equal Opportunity Statement
**The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit – and takes actions to prevent – discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Additional documents are required
Please pay attention to any additional required documents. Due to Handshake only allowing one document under the “other” category to be up-loaded to job applications, please combine your other documents such as class schedule or financial aid award with your resume or your cover letter and save it to your documents before you apply to this position.
**Applying for a job via an application is not a guarantee of employment**