The University of Oklahoma Libraries’ Emerging Technologies Librarian supports the integration of rapidly developing emerging technologies into research and teaching across the campus. The Emerging Technologies Librarian will develop and evaluate emerging technologies for use in classroom and lab settings, which will include working with external partners to maintain and develop new technologies under the guidance of the Head of Emerging Technologies. The Emerging Technologies Librarian will provide consultations for patrons on how those technologies might be used for research and instruction. Dedicated spaces which house cutting-edge resources available to the Norman-OU community are located at multiple campus locations and need to be regularly updated, maintained and supervised by the Emerging Technologies Librarian. This includes ensuring that associated technologies are ready for use in improving research and instruction in the community. Furthermore, this position helps train community members in the use of these technologies, and their potential applications. The Emerging Technologies Librarian is responsible for supervising student staff and maintaining a respectful and equitable work environment.
The Emerging Technologies Librarian will also coordinate projects outside of dedicated spaces insofar as those projects support the OU Libraries’ mission and the scholarly activities of University stakeholders.
The University of Oklahoma Libraries is dedicated to building and fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable educational and work environment. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, veteran status and other protected status as required by applicable law.
Emerging Technologies Consulting Services
- Provides one-on-one assistance to students, faculty and staff using emerging technologies and advises on potential uses, likely impact, and value.
- Develops and provides group and one-on-one instruction, developing digital learning objects (videos, online tutorials, etc.) and conducting orientations and tours as required.
- Responsible for scheduling dedicated spaces, resources and coordinating events held in the OU Libraries.
- Responsible for assessing the impact of the Emerging Technologies team including compiling narrative and statistical reports as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Technology Development and Maintenance
- Implements, maintains and updates existing resources for use in teaching integrations and research applications.
- Maintains a large fleet of publicly available 3D printers and other equipment as assigned.
- Investigates, develops and evaluates new resources and tools for the academic environment.
- Works with external partners to maintain and develop new technologies under the guidance of the Head of Emerging Technologies.
Supervision and Space Administration
- Meets with fellow Emerging Technologies Librarians weekly to coordinate spaces and projects.
- Ensures standard practices for employment within the library and on-campus are followed.
Campus Contributions & Professional Activity
- Participates in library and university committees as necessary.
- Publishes and presents on work-related topics and research.
- Maintains up-to-date professional knowledge and contacts in areas related to primary job assignment.
All applications must include a cover letter, resume and list of three professional references. Hiring will be contingent upon submission of academic transcripts. To apply for this position, go to https://jobs.ou.edu and search for job number 210450 .
The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to: admissions, employment, financial aid and educational services. For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, visit the OU Institutional Equity Office.
Bachelor’s degree OR equivalent experience in technology, operations and project management AND
- 0-24 months of experience in technology, operations and project management.
- Ability to work with and lead diverse groups of people in respectful, equitable, and inclusive ways.
- Ability to teach others about emerging technologies in group and one-on-one settings.
- Ability to build and sustain effective interpersonal relationships and work collaboratively in a diverse and fast-paced environment.
- Creative problem-solving skills and a strong commitment to service excellence.
- Ability to take initiative and be self-directed.
- Strong organizational skills. Must be capable of multitasking.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to explore and critically evaluate new and emerging technologies.
- Master’s degree in library science ore a related field.
- Experience working with 3D data and workflows.
- Experience working in makerspaces, studios, schools or libraries.
- Understanding of the academic library’s role in research, teaching and learning and how that relates to the role of new and emerging technologies.
$47,500.00 – $51,500.00 (Yearly Salary)