The UNT Libraries Access Services Department seeks student employees to staff the Library Service Desk. Schedules vary each semester and shifts include evenings and weekends. The Access Services Department is responsible for providing a variety of library research services to facilitate access to information resources. The library student assistant position provides customer service to the UNT community by answering questions in-person and over the phone, checking-out/in library materials, offering instruction on how to use the library online catalog, website and services, explaining library policy and procedures, aiding with daily office tasks/projects, and assisting with other duties as assigned.
This position does not offer an out-of-state tuition waiver.
Hours: Approximately 15-20 hours per week. Schedules vary; some evenings and weekends
- Monday: 7:00am – 6:00pm
- Tuesday: 7:00am – 6:00pm
- Wednesday: 7:00am – 6:00pm
- Thursday: 7:00am – 6:00pm
- Friday: 7:00am – 6:00pm
- Ability to follow directions
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Attention to detail
- Computer aptitude
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Sit or stand for long periods of time
- 6 months of customer service experience
- 6 months of library experience in public services
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations
- Ability to push book trucks up to 150 pounds
- Experience with using internet browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and IE), Microsoft suite, and Adobe programs
- Knowledge of call number systems
- Previous experience using an integrated library system
- Familiarity with UNT, UNT libraries, and UNT services
There is a two- step process to apply:
1) To apply for this position, you will need to apply online via Handshake with the Student Employment Application, resume, and cover letter.
2) Email the following to Pilar.Baskett@unt.edu
: your Student Employment Application, cover letter, resume, references, work availability, and a copy of your Fall 2021 class schedule.
Note: Position does not offer out-of-state tuition waiver.
**Due to the critical nature of this position, a conditional job offer is extended contingent upon successful completion of a background check. If selected, a start date will be provided once the final results of your check are received. UNT reserves the right to review all information provided by applicants, including information provided on the application, information receives during reference checks, or background checks to verify the suitability for employment of any applicant. An offer of employment may be rescinded due to an unsuccessful background investigation.
Equal Opportunity Statement
**The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit – and takes actions to prevent – discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Additional documents are required
Please pay attention to any additional required documents. Due to Handshake only allowing one document under the “other” category to be up-loaded to job applications, please combine your other documents such as class schedule or financial aid award with your resume or your cover letter and save it to your documents before you apply to this position.
**Applying for a job via an application is not a guarantee of employment**