Assignment: Career Exploration (Information for Faculty & Staff)
This same assignment is also available in Canvas. You can access it after logging into your Canvas account. Click the Commons link in the Global Navigation tool bar. Search by title for the assignment you would like to use, view it by clicking the title, and then click the Import/Download button. Search for the course(s) into which you would like to import the assignment or select the course(s) from the list. Then, click the Import into Course button. To download the file to your computer, click the Download button. The following link shows more detailed instructions including pictures: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Commons/How-do-I-import-and-view-a-Commons-resource-in-Canvas/ta-p/1808.
The purpose of this assignment is to introduce students to a wide variety of career paths. The following resources and exercise will help students discover new career paths and identify which ones match their interests and goals.
For this assignment, students are asked to:
- Learn about job families and job titles
- Listening to a discussion led by a faculty/staff member,
- Watching the Discover the Possibilities video (above)
- Identify their top three job families
- Identify 3 job titles that you’d like to learn more about
- Understand the job duties, pay, projected growth, and other factors connected to job titles within those job families
- Understand what skills students are developing within their major
- Understand what skills students may need to develop outside of their major to align with their chosen job titles
- Demonstrate comprehension by completing one of these assessments:
- In a class, work with a partner or small group to answer each of the discussion questions
- As homework, write a paper or create a presentation answering each of these questions