Job Search Strategies and Employment Opportunities During COVID-19
In spite of what you may be hearing in the news, there are good jobs available during COVID-19. But, the job market is changing, and you may need to adjust your job search strategy in order to reach your goal. Below are some resources focused specifically on helping job seekers during this challenging time including:
- Advice from UNT Career Coaches and others to help you develop a successful job search strategy
- Skills development opportunities focused on jobs that are in high demand now
- Companies that are actively hiring for part-time, full time, and post-graduation positions
- Alternatives to traditional internships for gaining experience
Career Advice from UNT Career Coaches, Employers, Alumni and Others
- COVID-19 Employer Response Panel – A panel of employers and UNT faculty, hosted by UNT Career Center staff, discuss the impact of COVID-19 on job and internship opportunities and provide advice.
- Adapt and Excel: A COVID-19 Guide to Career Prep Under Quarantine – Aaron Anderson, Internship Specialist at UNT, gives career prep advice during COVID-19.
- Making the Most of Your Summer – Dr. Brian Hirsch, Senior Associate Director of the Career Resource Center in the G. Brint Ryan College of Business, discusses the strategies any student can put in place this summer to enhance their chances in a challenging job market.
- Unprecedented: A Job Search Guide for Challenging Times – Aaron Long, Sales Recruiter at Caliber Home Loans, and Dr. Brian Hirsch, Senior Associate Director of the Career Resource Center in the G. Brint Ryan College of Business, discuss strategies for a successful job search during challenging times.
- Virtual Job Search Strategies for Seniors – Dr. Brian Hirsch, Senior Associate Director of the Career Resource Center in the G. Brint Ryan College of Business, helps all students understand how they can devise a plan for finding a job in a challenging job market.
- The New Normal: A Job Hunting Workshop – Dr. Brian Hirsch, Senior Associate Director of the Career Resource Center in the G. Brint Ryan College of Business, discusses the strategies any student can employ, regardless of major, when looking for a job or internship during a challenging economic situation.
- Finding a Job During COVID-19 – Dylan Halloran, UNT student in the G. Brint Ryan College of Business, discusses his successful job search during COVID-19 and provides practical tips for other students.
- Successful Job Search During Spring 2020 – Hannah Whitehead, Mechanical Engineering Technology major, talks about how she secured a position with Raytheon in Spring 2020.
- Navigating an Uncertain Job Market – In this podcast, Amy Hicks, UNT Career Coach, discusses how to navigate an uncertain job market and other topics that pertain to those graduating in 2020.
- What Colleges & Graduating Seniors Need To Do To Find Jobs During These Tough COVID-19 Times – Forbes article.
- Finding a Job During Challenging Economic Times (LinkedIn Learning; sign in using single sign on credentials)
- 9 Job Search Tips for International Students in the Age of Coronavirus (Vault; no sign in required)
- How Will Coronavirus Affect Your Job Search in 2020? (Vault; no sign in required)
- 5 Recession-Proof Industries (Vault; no sign in required)
- Microsoft launches initiative to help 25 million people worldwide acquire the digital skills needed in a COVID-19 economy – Includes free access to learning paths and content to help people develop the skills needed for in-demand jobs, plus low-cost certifications and free job-seeking tools to help people pursue new jobs.
- Learn Relevant Skills for Jobs In-Demand – Start developing your skills for free with learning paths from LinkedIn Learning and Microsoft Learn, then practice tech skills in the GitHub Learning Lab. Offer available until 12/31/2021.
- Explore Jobs Transitions – Use this tool to find possible job transitions based on the skills you already have in common with those jobs and the skills you may need to build, along with open jobs that are available in your region.
- Jobs in North Texas – Say Yes to Dallas and the Dallas Regional Chamber, with partners across North Texas, are connecting workers displaced by the COVID-19 outbreak. Several organizations are hiring large numbers of employees.
- Workforce Solutions Greater Dallas (WFSDallas) – A quasi-governmental and non-profit organization that provides competitive solutions for people through quality jobs
- Companies Are Still Hiring During COVID-19—Here Are 103 That Want Your Applications Now
- These 23 Amazing Companies Are All Hiring Right Now
- The Coronavirus Effect: Here Are The Jobs That Will Be Added And Lost
- Top 100 Companies with Remote Jobs in 2020
- 37 Companies Actively Hiring Amid COVID-19
- 20 Companies Hiring Entry-Level Positions for College Grads Now
- These companies are currently hiring: Fujifilm, SpaceX, MTX (remote positions).
Alternative Internship Strategies
- Internship Alternatives – Caroline Frey, UNT Internship Specialist, discusses two alternatives to traditional internships that are available to UNT students through Forage and Parker Dewey.