Take Flight Information for Employers
Take Flight is designed to assist students in their career exploration and development by matching them with hosts working in a career field of interest. Students who participate in Take Flight will be able to:
- Determine how this experience fits in with their career development plan.
- Clarify their career goals and assess if this is a career that they wish to pursue.
- Develop a better understanding of all aspects involved in a job. Students can observe not only job characteristics and responsibilities but also what each profession requires on a day-to-day basis.
Take Flight Host Role
- Provide students with a safe learning environment focusing on career exploration
- Learn more about potential candidates
- Provide information about the organization
- Prepare a schedule of activities for the student(s)
- Complete an online survey after the job shadow
Suggested Job Shadow Activities
- Tour of the workplace
- Observe day-to-day activities
- Staff meetings
- Client interactions/meetings
- Small hands-on projects
- Meet with other members of the department
- View important reports and/or data
- Review organization vision and mission statement
- Allow time for students to conduct an informational interview(s)
- Debrief at the end of each day