MEET JENNA! A Biochemistry major at UNT who is currently working at Unilever as their R&D Intern.
We asked Jenna some questions about her plans for graduation, advice for current students, and how UNT helped her to succeed and SOAR BEYOND!
- When you started at UNT, what were your plans after graduation? How have these plans changed (if at all)? At first I wanted to be a veterinarian and I even volunteered at the Dallas Zoo every week for about a year and a half, but then I realized that that wasn’t something I could do for the rest of my life due to severe allergies. I started looking for paid internships my junior year and found the one at Unilever, and after completing it I’ve found a new passion for R&D and will work there after I graduate.
- What advice do you have for prospective or current students as they decide what they want their next steps to be (internships/careers/etc.)?W Look a little bit outside your comfort zone. Even if you’ve never done it before, you might find something unexpected that you really like. If you have tunnel vision looking for the “perfect” opportunity, you’ll miss out on everything else.
- How did your program at UNT help you to feel prepared for this role? I knew a lot about chemistry and how to function in a lab setting.
- How did you find your current role (website, email, word of mouth, etc)? Job sites like LinkedIn, Indeed, etc.
- What was the toughest interview question they asked you? When is a time you had to step up and be a leader?
Would you like to be featured in our Soaring Beyond Success Series? Email Jeanette Hickl. We’d love to share your story!