Welcome to the Veterans Community!
As a U.S. military Veteran, your unique experience serving the U.S. is very much appreciated here at UNT. On average, most student veterans are between the ages of 24 and 40, almost 48% are married and the same percentage of veterans have children. Perhaps you are wanting to continue the same career direction as you did in the military and learn new skills or completely change your career direction.
Your relevant military skills are transferable to the civilian world and include:
- Teamwork and demonstrating responsibility for others
- Flexibility, Adaptability, Creativity, Resourcefulness
- Setting a positive example, displaying integrity
- Reacting to real-world events and adverse conditions
- Communicating with all levels of leadership & management
- Applying critical thinking skills to every situation
- Experiencing diversity and dealing directly with global cultures
- Troubleshooting and problem-solving, generating options
- Completing the required task despite obstacles
Interview with Veteran and UNT Alumnus
Venson Herron, veteran and UNT alumnus, talks about his military experience and what he did to prepare for his future career while he was a student at UNT.
Student Veterans Career Resources
In addition to the programs and services provided by the UNT Career Center and meeting with your Career Coach, below are some career resources for UNT student veterans:
- UNT Student Veterans Services
- Veteran’s Administration (Education, Disability, Healthcare, Records)
- Hazlewood Act (Texas residents only)
- Texas Veterans Scholarships
- NACE – A Veterans’ Guide to Developing a Resume
- Military.com – Writing Military to Civilian Resumes: The “Transferability of Skills” Strategy
- Northrop Grumman – Resume Tips for Veterans Transitioning to Civilian Careers
- Veteran’s Guide to a Cybersecurity Career – Career information plus scholarships and transition resources.
Be sure to schedule an appointment with your Career Coach!
Career path exploration, resume reviews, identifying transferable skills, LinkedIn profiles, cover letters, networking, and practice interviews are just a few of the services offered to UNT students and alumni free of charge! To schedule an appointment, find your Career Coach in the College Career Community for your major.