Welcome to the First Year Student Community!
Congratulations, you’ve made it to college! You are taking the first step towards your future. Did you know that as a first-year student you should start preparing for your career now? Getting a degree is a great accomplishment, but unfortunately a degree alone does not guarantee you’ll find a great job. Luckily, the Career Center can help. It is important to set yourself apart by getting an early start on career preparation.
3 aspects to work on during your first year at UNT to prepare for your career:
- Explore Your Options: Learn about major and career options.
- Explore the many career options related to your major by accessing What Can I Do With This Major.
- Use MyPlan to help you identify your personality, interests, skills and values and how they can impact your satisfaction in different career fields.
- Schedule an appointment with the First Year Career Coach or stop by the Career Center in Sage Hall, Suite 200.
- Don’t know what to major in? Schedule an appointment with an academic advisor at UNT Advising.
- Get Involved: Student organizations, campus events, and volunteer opportunities can help you gain professional skills employers look for. Find out how you can Get Involved at UNT.
- Gain Experience: Having experience is a crucial part of finding a professional job. On-campus jobs, internships, and job shadowing are all great ways to gain experience. Find opportunities to gain experience on Handshake.
- Career Readiness: If you know the Career Readiness Competencies or Skills employers are looking, you can recognize when you are gaining these competencies in your coursework and other experiences.
- Find a Mentor: Seek information and advice from UNT alumni by connecting online through Mean Green Mentors.
Knowing your options, getting involved and gaining experience can help you land your first professional job. Plans can change, so know your options. We want to help you prepare for your destination and your future!