Understand How to Legally Work in the U.S. (CPT, OPT and Sponsorship)

It is difficult to get a job or internship through strong grades alone. U.S. employers value students with extracurricular activities, related hands-on experience and leadership experience.

It is essential for international students to understand when and how they can start working off campus. Students need to be able to articulate the basics of their student visa work authorization options and their employment visa options to employers if asked, as not all U.S. employers are experienced in hiring international candidates. 

If you have detailed questions on student visa work authorization options, please consult with your UNT International Advisor to ensure that you understand the benefits of and requirements for each work authorization.

On-Campus Opportunities

F-1 students can work on-campus as soon as they arrive and throughout the duration of their studies. J-1 students must have work authorization from ISSS before they can begin on-campus employment. If you are in J-1 status, make sure you contact jinfo@unt.edu before beginning your on-campus position.

Students may not work over 20 hours per week when school is in session; however, employment hours may increase over academic breaks.

Off Campus Options for F-1 International Students