Internship Information for International Students


Can I have an internship as an international student?

Most likely, yes! International students can typically participate in an off-campus internship using Curricular Practical Training (CPT.) Students can be eligible to use CPT for an internship if they have been enrolled in school full-time for 2 long semesters and have maintained F-1 status. The internship must be related to your major field of study and be taken for course credit OR must be required for completion of your degree.

Students should work with their academic advisor and International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) as early as possible before searching for internships to ensure that they are eligible, the correct course is taken for credit, and that appropriate paperwork is completed. Learn more about the CPT process here.

What is the process for getting an internship using CPT?

  1. Prepare
    • Check with International Student & Scholar Services to make sure you will be eligible to apply for CPT.
    • Check with your academic advisor for enrolling in a course to obtain credit for the internship.
  2. Apply for internships
  3. When you accept an offer for an internship…
    • Submit CPT paperwork to International office.
    • Report your internship to the Career Center through Handshake.

Note: Students can complete CPT paperwork and report through Handshake concurrently. Processing times vary depending on the department. Some departments will take longer if they involve multiple approvers.

  1. Paperwork processing
    • Receive I-20 with CPT authorization on page two from International office.
    • Your department will review your internship report for approval.

Where should I go for more questions about CPT?

Contact the International Student & Scholar Services office or learn more about the CPT process here.

How do I know what course to enroll in to obtain course credit?

Select the college associated with your major from the College Career Communities list. Under Gain Experience, select Internships to see if your department offers a course for internship credit and other details about the appropriate course. For further questions about the course and any academic requirements, reach out to the contact person listed for your department or to your academic advisor.

Can international students do micro-internships or alternatives to traditional internships?

Learn more about opportunities through Forage and Parker Dewey platforms here. Any international student can participate in  online simulations from leading companies through Forage without enrolling in a course or using CPT. International students may also participate in micro-internships Parker Dewey by using CPT as described below:

  • Students will need to obtain a formal offer letter from Parker Dewey after being selected for a micro-internship.
  • Students must enroll in a course to obtain credit for an internship. The micro-internship project must satisfy the requirements of the course that is granting credit. For example, some courses require a certain number of work hours to be completed.
  • The duration of the project or length of the micro-internship must occur within the time frame of the course that is granting credit.
  • The student’s academic advisor will need to sign off on the CPT to confirm that they are receiving course credit and that the project work is related to their area of study.

How can l learn more?

  • Visit our international student Community Page for more information.
  • To meet with one of our Career Coaches or Internship Specialists for assistance with resume writing, your job or internship search and other career topics, current students can schedule an appointment through Navigate, and alumni can schedule an appointment through Handshake.
  • Look through our video library for helpful tips on a variety of topics.